PHENOBARBITAL AND EPILEPSY

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,I’ve got a cat that is 2 years old and unfortunately has been diagnosed with epilepsy since she was 1 year old.

Since the pandemic I’ve always been at home so I use to give her medication at 10.00 am, however I need to go to college at 7.00 am but I don’t know how I should change her timetable because of the fear of my cat suffering from seizures due to sudden changes.

I’ll call the vet tomorrow in order to ask about this issue,but I want to know some opinions about it…So what’s your take on this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, gradually change the times by one hour a day. If not two hours may be needed, but she should be observed. Is it only given once a day? I am a nurse, and we always have one hour on each side of med times to administer the meds. The time is not set in stone, but gradual is better when it involves the brain. Giving it a little sooner may make her sleepy until she adjusts. Definitely call your vet and see what they say. Bless you for helping and loving that little girl!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Of course, check with your vet tomorrow. Phenobarbitol has a long half life in cats. You should be fine just adjusting it an hour on each end every day until you get to the time you need. But, check with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can, gradually change the times by one hour a day. If not two hours may be needed, but she should be observed. Is it only given once a day? I am a nurse, and we always have one hour on each side of med times to administer the meds. The time is not set in stone, but gradual is better when it involves the brain. Giving it a little sooner may make her sleepy until she adjusts. Definitely call your vet and see what they say. Bless you for helping and loving that little girl!
Hi, I gave her phenobarbital twice a day but the other dose doesn’t worry me too much bc I’ll be in my house by that time.

I was planning to give my cat her morning pill 15 minutes in advance everyday until I reach the hour I need to set lince I have a couple weeks before this happens. I just wanted to be safe :)

Thank you for your advice! Hugs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Of course, check with your vet tomorrow. Phenobarbitol has a long half life in cats. You should be fine just adjusting it an hour on each end every day until you get to the time you need. But, check with your vet.
That’s what I’ll do tomorrow :)! Thank your for your advice