Petting And Brushing Lash Out!

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So my beautiful cat is now over 1yr old and I thought he would get used to us and settle down but he has some I wouldn't say worry g more strange behaviours or reactions to the following:-

*He will only tolerate being picked up and held for a max of 1 minute.

*when being stroked he takes it for again at a minute then lashes out!

*He won't tolerate being brushed at all he growls inwardly at me and hides when the brush comes out even if I give him treats!

*when he was young just after we first got him I'd say up to at 16 weeks afterwards he would sit by me on the seatee or curl up on my lap but he does none of which now! Even when I signal to the space next to me on the seatee when I'm relaxing watching TV but he still doesn't!

*He climbs on me while I'm sleeping in bed but only if the duvet is over me and if I stroke him....sometimes he will accept it a tiny bit and others hel just get straight up and walk away!

I know all of which isn't actually unusual and is just him and his preferances but is there anyway I can help him be a bit more approachable and accepting towards these?

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello! You can try building your relationship with him in other ways, with play and possibly training. Some cats are just naturally independent. Try Only interacting with him physically when he does approach you. It might not make him any more loving but you won't have the disappointment of trying to pet him and him hissing at you so you might appreciate those little moments a bit more.

If you choose to try and train him to do things, working out his motivation is the first step, find a lovely smelly treat (usually tuna but anything fishy that makes you gag will probably do) offer him some and raise it above his head. As he looks at it he should naturally sit and then you can give him a small piece and say sit. Marvel at how clever he is. I've seen youtubers get their cats to play dead, play shot, roll over speak, hi-five, it goes on. If you have the dedication and a motivated cat you can do this. The sheer amount of time it takes for you to train a specific action should bring you closer. Remember to portion the regular feed for the amount of treats you give because this can mount up to loads of little treats over time.

If this doesn't float his boat then a play session followed by a short calm relaxation/ petting session might be the ticket. Play until he's played out and just lay down near him. you don't necesarily have to touch him but laying near him whilst he's falling asleep will build trust and it's quite relaxing! If you want to get closer then have patience and move nearer to him over time and build on it until he is relaxed on the floor right next to you. He may never tolerate petting after but again you're spending time building on your trust and relationship.

Finally, make the area near to you attractive. If he likes a specific blanket / rug surface, you can use this to encourage him to be near you by replicating that where you want him to be. You mentioned he liked to sit on you when the duvet covers you. Maybe he's very considerate not to claw your skin. You can get a small quilted pillow and leave it on the sofa. You never know he may go for that and when he's comfortable with that being on the sofa you can try moving it onto your lap to see if he will sit on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your reply it was really helpful I will possibly try some of those suggestions and see how we get on! Thanks again x