Petting aggression or ????

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 2 cats, one male(Pekoe) and one female(Chai). The female is about 5 years old and the male is 6. Both cats used to sleep with us but on occasion Pekoe would attack Chai and chase her off the bed, maybe once a month to the point where Chai no longer sleeps with us. I took it as Pekoe laying claim to the bed. Now in the last 3 months he has attacked me 3 times usually after giving him attention in the middle of the night. I thought maybe I had startled him or perhaps I had accidentally touched his back feet(which he hates)I wasn't sure because I had barely been conscious when it happened but just this morning at 4am I woke up wide awake for no apparent reason, Pekoe was beside me as usual so I gave him a couple stokes on the head and a short little chin rub and I stopped. The whole moment lasted maybe 15 seconds and then he literally launched at my arm dug his claws in and bit me. He never does this during the day and it has all started since our other cat quite sleeping in our room. I can't make heads or tails of this, it kinda seems possible for it to be petting aggression but  the attention I have been giving him is so short I don't know, does anybody have any ideas?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the first thing to do is get Pekoe checked out by a vet. You need to rule out any physical causes for this new behaviour.

I'd be very surprised if it was an overstimulation reaction - especially if he doesn't react this was during the day.

In the meantime, it might be worth considering fitting him with Softpaws claw covers - just to limit the amount of damage he can do to you.

Feliway or Feliway Multicat diffusers might help him relax a little - and they certainly shouldn't hurt.

Have there been ANY other changes at all since this behaviour started (environmental, behavioral etc), or was there an event that seemed to trigger his chasing Chai off the bed? The more details we have, the higher the chances of being able to unravel what's going on in his furry little head :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly can't think of any changes that would trigger this and I can't think of any one incident. About 2 months ago we did find crystals in his urine and we have since switched his food over to a vet recommended urinary health food but he hasn't had any problems since then. That happened after the first 2 attacks on me though.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't think that a dietary change would trigger this sort of behaviour. Pain might though, if you inadvertently hit a sore spot. The timing is off though. Hmm...

Is it possible it's a kind of redirected aggression? I know animals dream, and my labrador certainly seems to have nightmares sometimes...she gets very vocal and wakes up scared. Is it possible the Pekoe's having a bad dream and wakes up freaking out?

I still think a vet check specifically about this behaviour is worthwhile though.

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The bad dream scenario did come to mind also but wasn't sure. It seems more plausible than petting aggression though because of it being so random. I was awake when he attacked our other cat once, he literally got up from beside me calmly walked over to her then just pounced on her. I felt so bad for her because here she is sleeping peacefully and then all of a sudden she's getting her but kicked for no reason.

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clean bill of health from the doc. He couldn't find anything wrong with him.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear Pekoe's fit and healthy :D

That really does make me lean towards the bad dream scenario when he's gone for you in bed.

As far as his behaviour towards Chai goes, he may just be making certain that he's the boss :rolleyes: I wouldn't get too concerned provided that Chai's happy and isn't being bullied by him.

Definitely give Feliway a go and see if that helps. It certainly can't hurt ;)