Pets in the eternal spring break/telework epidemic

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I received this from my veterinerian;

CATS
Cats live for social distancing. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean the same thing to them as it does to us right now.
Changes in lifestyle
We are seeing an increase in issues that are stress related now that cats aren't getting their "me" time.
Medical issues being seen

> Kitty colds - eye discharge and redness, blinking a lot or squinting, sneezing, runny nose

> GI issues - vomiting and/or constipation

> Urination issues - peeing outside the litterbox, increase in frequency or amount

What you can do
Life needs to stay as normal as possible for our pets to cope

> Give cats their space - allow them to come to you for attention, keep children from interacting with them during the day unless the cat seeks them out, try to stay out of a room if that is where the cat usually spends the day when you are gone to work/school

> Stick to routines - feeding time and amounts need to be consistent, play time should be the same as before the stay-at-home orders

DOGS
Dogs are the extroverts of the pet world. However, that can create issues as well.
Changes in lifestyle

> Our canine companions are going on far more walks for far more distance (and some for the first time).

> The dogs and the kids are spending a lot more time together.

> All owners are trapped in the house with the dog and the dog is a master of manipulation.

Medical issues being seen

> GI issues (vomiting and diarrhea) - dogs are picking up things while out on their many walks, are manipulating their owners into getting more treats or more food overall, and have figured out that children are an awesome source of treats.

> Muscle and joint issues - many dogs are exercising far more than usual and over terrain to which they may not be accustomed.

What you can do
Routines and consistency are critical for our dogs. We may see the greatest impact to dogs when everyone goes back to school and work because of the separation anxiety from suddenly being without all that interaction and attention.

> If the family dog is normally in a kennel during the day, continue to do that so it won't be a big change when everyone is back out of the house again in a few weeks.

> Keep feeding routines the same - continue to offer the same amount of food and treats at the same times as they are given when you aren't stuck at home.

> Exercise routines should increase gradually - we all want to get out, and walking the dog seems like a good reason, but don't go from couch potato to marathon overnight.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It makes sense, and it's good for us to try to keep our routines as well.
Mine are thrilled that I'm here but I can understand how it could be stressful, especially with younger children and older cats.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I worry about the cats when things get back to normal and suddenly I'm back out of the house for 8+ hrs a day...

Having said that, they're not paying much attention to me anyway although Dari now trying to lick my hand.