Petey's eating 50%raw/50%canned

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we started raw, specifically NV Chicken raw medallions from that free trial bag coupon
At first he smelled it and decided to sit back and wait for Neko to finished her canned food so he could eat her leftovers...this was taking too long so he went in to try the raw... he ate half the medallion and then proceeded to finish Neko's leftovers...then finished the other half of the medallion. Then a few hours later I offered another medallion which he ate all in one sitting

So I'm feeding 6oz wet in the morning and 2 1oz medallions of NV raw...Does this sound about right? Or should he be eating more of the raw? (He was previously eating 6oz am/6oz pm; he's 6months and very active; canned food includes Natural Balance and BG)

Thanks!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just go off how he looks, if his weight stays stable I would leave it, add more or less depending on how he does. I usually feed more at night to keep my cat from waking me up too early. I do half canned/half raw as well although I do prey model raw not premade, I'd do total raw but can't get the cat to eat enough protein sources and organs yet. I would add in some actual raw with bones like a chicken wing or some cornish game hen and see if your cat will take that, get him used to doing some chewing and keep those teeth clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've completely finished the chicken trial bag

Petey's not satisfied with only 2 medallions so I'm bumping it to 3 for his pm serving. Today I bought a big bag of lamb medallions which should last me 16 days...I've also noticed his stools are even better than when we transitioned to an all wet diet

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

We've completely finished the chicken trial bag

Petey's not satisfied with only 2 medallions so I'm bumping it to 3 for his pm serving. Today I bought a big bag of lamb medallions which should last me 16 days...I've also noticed his stools are even better than when we transitioned to an all wet diet
All good news!

AC

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking that 6oz of wet plus 3 1oz medallions are giving Petey a little too much calories...he's starting to get a kitty udder
While I can still feel his ribs I can tell it won't be long before i cant...
He's only 6months old and very active
The package for NV Raw says for active adults 5-15lbs, 3-6 medallions
and kittens after weaning, 4-12 medallions

I want to keep his evening feeding at 3 medalilions and possibly go down to 3oz of wet for the morning.
Does this sound like enough food? and should i transition to lowering his intake or can i just start feeding 3oz less?

We've finished the lamb and are going to try Venison next since i recieved a coupon for it!

Thank you!

ps. Giving him little pieces of raw chicken breast when cooking and he's so defensive of his food!! Growls while he's eating it and everything
Pretty cute imo. He doesn't do this when fed wet or NV raw...interesting

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

I'm thinking that 6oz of wet plus 3 1oz medallions are giving Petey a little too much calories...he's starting to get a kitty udder
While I can still feel his ribs I can tell it won't be long before i cant...
He's only 6months old and very active
The package for NV Raw says for active adults 5-15lbs, 3-6 medallions
and kittens after weaning, 4-12 medallions

I want to keep his evening feeding at 3 medalilions and possibly go down to 3oz of wet for the morning.
Does this sound like enough food? and should i transition to lowering his intake or can i just start feeding 3oz less?

We've finished the lamb and are going to try Venison next since i recieved a coupon for it!

Thank you!

ps. Giving him little pieces of raw chicken breast when cooking and he's so defensive of his food!! Growls while he's eating it and everything
Pretty cute imo. He doesn't do this when fed wet or NV raw...interesting
That "udder" is usually a hereditary holdover of extra skin (to make stretching out while at a run easier) and not an indication of a cat's physical condition. Until and unless you can't feel his ribs, I'd continue feeding him as much as you're doing now.

Although, with kittens and young cats, I recommend at least three feedings a day, preferably four. In fact, I feed my adults cats three times a day and recommend that as a standard.

Yeah, fresh raw food often provokes a strong predatory (and highly amusing) reaction out of our kitties.

Regards!

AC

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks AC! Yes, they both get four feedings. 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I'll just keep feeding the same, check his ribs every now and then, and order my scale off of Amazon that I've been meaning to get to weigh my cats.