Pet Strollers

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used a pet stroller for their cats? I've been checking them out in pet stores for a while now but I've been a litty unsure about them. My big problem was that if I used it to go to the vet I would have to transfer my kitty from a carrier in the car to the stroller and they would freak out and escape during the transfer. My vet is on a very busy street so that would not be a good thing. Well last night I was looking on the internet and found one that has a detachable carrier/carseat so I ended up buying it. Now I just hope the kitties like it. Princess wants to go outside SOOOO bad so I thought she would like to go for walks, this way she can be her nosey little self and still be safe.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of the sphynx breeders use them
I also heard they are on say at Petsmart for $35.
Once your cat gets a taste of outside she might try to sneak out.
Let me know how you like it.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Attitude and Nuts are getting too big to fit in their carrier together so I have been thinking about getting one but considering both are approaching 10 lbs at 7 months I know it's going to have to have a higher weight limit and have a large area the carry them in.

They hate being separated so I prefer to keep them together when they both have to go to the vet. 2 carriers would also a PITA when I take them in on my own. With Spaz I just took her in on a leash but I could carry Spaz at 7.5 lbs, not to mention she was only 1 cat. Like I said Attitude and Nuts are heavy especially carrying both of them, not to mention trying to carry 2 cats with only 2 hands doesn't work too well, especially when 1 or both decide they don't want to cooperate.

I wish I could find an inexpensive stroller that had a large carrying area and a higher weight limit, but I know that's prolly not going to happen.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

A lot of the sphynx breeders use them
I also heard they are on say at Petsmart for $35.
Once your cat gets a taste of outside she might try to sneak out.
Let me know how you like it.
I paid $45 for mine on-line because the ones I've seen at Pets Mart don't have the detachable carrier/car seat. $10 more is woth the conveneience and safety factor for me.

Princess already tries to sneak out so that will be nothing new
. I've had to put up security doors and lift latches at the top of doors to keep her in because she can unlock doors, even deadbolts.

I will give a report when it arrives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

Attitude and Nuts are getting too big to fit in their carrier together so I have been thinking about getting one but considering both are approaching 10 lbs at 7 months I know it's going to have to have a higher weight limit and have a large area the carry them in.

They hate being separated so I prefer to keep them together when they both have to go to the vet. 2 carriers would also a PITA when I take them in on my own. With Spaz I just took her in on a leash but I could carry Spaz at 7.5 lbs, not to mention she was only 1 cat. Like I said Attitude and Nuts are heavy especially carrying both of them, not to mention trying to carry 2 cats with only 2 hands doesn't work too well, especially when 1 or both decide they don't want to cooperate.

I wish I could find an inexpensive stroller that had a large carrying area and a higher weight limit, but I know that's prolly not going to happen.

Taryn
The carrier I bought hold up to 25lbs. One of my cats is 17 lbs so I know what you mean about them getting heavy. I also found double strollers so that might be an option so you can take your 2 kitties together. There were also heavy duty strollers but I can't remember the weight limits in them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only seen them used at cat shows, some people have the double decker strollers that hold 4 cats (depending on cat size of course).

I looked at a few different kinds but they are several hundred dollars over here, so I haven't gone any further as it's not something I really need, just something I want.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had several members who had strollers for their cats. Most were purchased, but one member converted a baby carriage to take his kitties on walks.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to be able to take Holland outside on walks. She's such a scaredy-cat though that she probably wouldn't like it as much as I think she might... She's perfectly happy watching the birds and squirrels through the window.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one stroller that has a removable carrier, and one that doesn't. I bought the one with the removable carrier (Pet Gear Travel System stroller) first to use for Church and Roxy when they were kittens, but the two cats grew too big to comfortably share the stroller (and I rescued more kittens) so I bought another one. The second one I have is the Pet Gear Happy Trails stroller I think.
I have a minivan so I don't have to transfer the cats into a carrier for driving, I just put the stroller right in without folding it up. I always put harnesses on my cats though when we travel so even if I did have to do that it wouldn't be a big deal. Some of my cats prefer to ride in seatbelts in the car instead of in the carrier/stroller anyway...
It's really useful for when I have to take more than one cat to a show or to the vet, especially since now my cats are all at least 10 pounds except for Harley.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

The second one I have is the Pet Gear Happy Trails stroller I think.
I also have 2 cats at 10 pounds each. The 30lb capacity for this stroller would be sufficient. But size-wise, is it roomy enough to fit two cats comfortably? Thanks.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

I also have 2 cats at 10 pounds each. The 30lb capacity for this stroller would be sufficient. But size-wise, is it roomy enough to fit two cats comfortably? Thanks.
Yes it will fit two 10 lb cats as long as they are comfortable being in close quarters together. My cats are all 10 pounds or more except for Harley and I usually have two cats in the stroller when I go to the vet or shows (sometimes 3.) However most of mine are littermates so they don't mind being together in a small space-- there were seven of them in the litter so they're used to it!
There's not much extra space left though.

Here's a photo from when I got the Happy Trails stroller, with 3 cats inside. One is 10 pounds, the other two are less as this was taken a year ago when those two were still growing.

If you can afford it and have space for it I would suggest getting the AT3 Stroller. I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's roomy and it holds up to 60 pounds.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Neko, that picture really helps! I'd love to upgrade but I live in a small apartment and any stroller I get would have to sit out in the living room since i no longer have any closet space. So I'd prefer to go as small as possible. My cats can go out on leashes so I'd like to get a stroller for when I take them to the vet. I do not have a car and carrying one cat in the plastic carrier I have now is a pain. I used to carry both of them when they were kittens but it's impossible now.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And my kitties are sisters, fighting sisters, but they can share space when needed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one of the kitty walk knock offs.// I sold it to a friend for 1/6th what I paid for it ... works awesome for her dog but was too bulky for kittys

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was looking at these and would *love* to get one to take my cat for walks, but I live in a neighborhood with dogs and was worried that a dog might try to attack the stroller. I could take pepper spray...but that could still get ugly. Not worth the risk I guess even though it would be fun.

kipo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Here's a photo from when I got the Happy Trails stroller, with 3 cats inside. One is 10 pounds, the other two are less as this was taken a year ago when those two were still growing.

If you can afford it and have space for it I would suggest getting the AT3 Stroller. I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's roomy and it holds up to 60 pounds.
I have this same stroller (though, it is for our dog). Last Summer we were on vacation with it and our little guy and, at some point, a woman hurried over to us on the street, smiling, she bent over, then upon seeing no baby in the stroller (just our little dog looking back at her startled), she took a step back and said incredulously: "It's a dog!!".
A real Kodak moment.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get one,you may consider getting one that is a little higher priced that has the carrier as part of the stroller. I love mine. It's kind of like a baby stroller that the car seat fits into.