Pet Sitters

dawn05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used pet sitters? When we go on vacation this the summer, my daughter is coming to feed our kitties.

I was wondering, though, to give my daughter a break, maybe I could have a pet sitter come over once or twice. I've never done this before.

Are they expensive? I worry that they can be trusted? Anyone have experience with this?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work as a pet sitter, and the best way to know for sure they can be trusted is to get a referral from someone you trust, if you dont know them personally.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawn05

Are they expensive? I worry that they can be trusted? Anyone have experience with this?
Sorry, I didnt really answer your questions:

expensive? Depends on what service you need. For a cat where I dont live in but must visit 1-2xs/day I charge $10/day usually.

If you get a pet service that is bonded I think they are more likely to be satisfactory but maybe more expensive. A service wont keep sitters who have complaints against them.

If you are finding your own sitter w/o a service, I recommend getting a pet lover and possibly someone a bit "older". Plenty of neighborhood teenagers/college students may be all for sitting, but when I did it at that age I had parties at the owners's houses. (I was a bad kid).

Also, getting someone more adult and experience may cost more but may be worth it. For a family I work for with two dogs and a cat, plus housesitting duties, I charge $60/day. I'm still cheaper than a kennel, the dogs get to stay in their home, and I do a good job. I had one family who wanted to pay only $20 a day for one dog, I said no, they argued. I pointed out for my good and dependable service they had to make it worth my while. I have a "real" FT job, and I dont really need to make $40 for a w/e of hassel (since their dog was a nightmare). They had their 16 year old neighbor do it instead; um..let's just say they go what they paid for.

I am a pet lover so I treat the pets the way I treat my own babies. A good trait for a sitter to have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawn05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses. You've given me very helpful information. I'll have to check it out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawn05

Has anyone used pet sitters? When we go on vacation this the summer, my daughter is coming to feed our kitties.

I was wondering, though, to give my daughter a break, maybe I could have a pet sitter come over once or twice. I've never done this before.

When I pet sat as a kid it was 5 a day for a small animal and 10 for a large ...

the 10 was for those that required walking over just playing....

get references , call vets and groomers for recommendations as well as friends..

Ask about a bulk rate or discount if it is a long standing job like over 3 weeks

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For a cat where I dont live in but must visit 1-2xs/day I charge $10/day usually.
Wow, that's cheap. My pet sitter charged 12.50 a visit, and all she had to do was toss food in for my turtle, add water to the tank, and leave. She was bonded and insured though. The price around here is usually $15 per visit for a cat/dog, plus $2 more for each animal. Visits last for one hour.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

Wow, that's cheap. My pet sitter charged 12.50 a visit, and all she had to do was toss food in for my turtle, add water to the tank, and leave. She was bonded and insured though. The price around here is usually $15 per visit for a cat/dog, plus $2 more for each animal. Visits last for one hour.
Oh, this is for neighbors within a block of me, plus I work independently.
I think $10 is too much actually, but I'd prefer not to sit at all so I have to give myself monetary incentive. I do it to really help these people out.