pet-safe pesticide?

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, first let me get this out of my system: eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww....

That's better. Now, here is my problem: For quite some time, the basement and garage of our apartment building has been infested with waterbugs--you know, the things that look like gigantic roaches and have the insect-equivalent of body armor so you need a hammer to kill them? They've never been a problem in our apartment, however, because we live on the sixth floor, and bugs don't typically migrate that high unless they have a reason.

Recently, though, the management has set about to eliminate them and has brought in an exterminator to do the basement and garage. Apparently the bugs have started moving upward, because this morning, Nathan caught one--imagine my surprise when I saw him trying to eat "something," I tried to get it away from him, and the "something" hit my living room floor and started running.

Anyway, the management company also provides an exterminator once a week for anyone who wants them to spray their apartment. Obviously, we don't do it because of the danger to the kitties, but my concern is that now, if the bugs are coming upstairs and other people are having their apartments treated and we're not, we're going to end up with all the bugs congregating here. Besides the obvious reason of not wanting to live with a bunch of giant bugs, I also don't want one of the cats to get hold of one and eat it, because if the bug is full of pesticide, it's going to make kitty very sick. So is there anything I can use to keep the bugs out of my apartment that won't be dangerous to the kits?

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Orange Guard??

I feel your fright.

We have "palmetto bugs" here that are really just three inch long cockroaches, and when it gets too dry they will try and come into the house. My cats view them as great fun and can nearly juggle with them. They never venture to eat them so I don't worry about that, they just play with them- I view it as great exercise. I even considered buying them crickets from the pet store to duplicate the experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

Orange Guard??

I feel your fright.

We have "palmetto bugs" here that are really just three inch long cockroaches, and when it gets too dry they will try and come into the house. My cats view them as great fun and can nearly juggle with them. They never venture to eat them so I don't worry about that, they just play with them- I view it as great exercise. I even considered buying them crickets from the pet store to duplicate the experience.
What's Orange Guard? I've never heard of it.

As far as them eating them, I don't know...Nathan had this one in his mouth when I caught him with it. But maybe he was just trying to keep it from running away? Oh this is all so gross.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up in Florida in the pre-airconditioning and pre-effective insecticide days, so I grew up with these disgusting flying evil things crawling over my body at night and dive-bombing us when the sun went down. My cats would even run away from these horrific bugs instead of trying to chase them! I joke that the only reason I moved further north was to escape these giant cockroaches.

I don't have any advice, other than using a nuclear bomb, but I guess that would be going overboard and it probably wouldn't work!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lotsocats

I don't have any advice, other than using a nuclear bomb, but I guess that would be going overboard and it probably wouldn't work!
Probably not--plus, I'm figuring that wouldn't really be "pet-safe."

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your landlord is doing a massive extermination in your building, then you need to let them do your apartment too IMO. I once lived in an apartment building and we found cockroaches. I had an "in" with the owners and had them do an extermination. They basically said that if the whole building wasn't done, the little critters would just move around and then come back later.

If it were me, I would take the kitties away for the day or board them for a day or so and let them do my apartment.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

Hmm, that looks interesting. Do you use Orange Guard? I'm just wondering whether it annoys your cats, since cats hate citrus.
Tell my cats that. Renfield will eat oranges. If I am eating it he simply must have some.

Yes, I use it. Nobody seems to mind it at all.