Pet peeves- ON THE INTERNET!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

I don't like it when people don't write their location in (here on TCS) either leave it blank or put your location. It's so cute that you write "with your cats" or some other cute phrase... but that really doesn't tell me WHERE you are. I don't need an exact place... but maybe a general idea?
It's everyone's right to keep their location to themselves for whatever reason

I'm a bit of a spelling/grammar nazi, but I don't really care if people misspell things on forums and things like this. Not everyone is the best speller - who cares. Maybe that person is dyslexic? I'm not going to judge them and jump and down about it!

If it's a webpage of someone trying to sell something though, they have an obligation to have the page grammatically correct and spelt correctly!!! If I'm trying to buy something and the page is full of spelling mistakes, I won't buy from there - if they can't be bothered checking their webpage, it doesn't fill me with confidence that they can provide me with a decent service.

The only other major pet peeve is spam emails from companies you've used previously that keep sending you spam no matter how many times you unsubscribe!! Oh man that drives me nuts. I hate spam and advertising being shoved in my face and will go to all lengths to avoid it!!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

*I can't stand racist and overly religious forwards. The religious ones I can forgive, but there's just no reason for the racist ones to be sent on. They really do disgust me.
Oh, the racist ones make my blood boil. The sad thing is, they are usually from people I know
Such as my brother's ex mother-in-law. Every time I get an email from her, I wonder why I am still paying for his mistake

Those who truly care about me would never forward anything so hideous.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Me too!
Smilies is ALMOST the funnest part of being online! I try to use them whenever I can!
Simply because they are cute, show your emotions, oh and did I mention they are cute?!?!
They are cute
They can make the difference in a post

I really like the little angry, flaming smiley. She looks sooooo mad!
The wavey is just so darned friendly

Smilies are cool

edit: loved the thread we did that was all in smilies. So many creative people here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

It's everyone's right to keep their location to themselves for whatever reason
I know.

If you saw the first sentence it said that I understand WHY people do it. I completely understand.

I just like to know a general idea of where people are. Maybe they live next door to me? Maybe they live in a state where I used to live? Maybe they live somewhere I've visited before? These are all things that are conversation starters- to make friends. Without a clue, I don't know where they are.

I guess I should just bite my tongue here. Nevermind.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

They are cute
They can make the difference in a post

I really like the little angry, flaming smiley. She looks sooooo mad!
The wavey is just so darned friendly

Smilies are cool

edit: loved the thread we did that was all in smilies. So many creative people here!
Where did that thread ever go?
We really need to bring that back around, since there are new members, etc.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Off to go dig up that thread!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I try my hardest to make sure everything is spelled right- but I do this -- alot! I graduated high school, and I think I use commas right most of the time- but alot of times I don't know whether or not to start a new sentence, or keep ---- on until I am through with my thought. I hope I don't offend anyone when I do it, because I do it alot. I don't mean to do it on purpose

The only peeve I have on the internet is bullies and spam

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I just can't stand getting emails with a threat if I fail to send it on to 25 of my dearest friends within the next 5 minutes. My parents have even been guilty of this. I asked them why on earth they would send me something with a threat of bad luck (horrible things!) if I didn't forward a stupid email!
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I hate when people type in ALL CAPS. Stop yelling! It doesn't happen much here, though.

And when people reply to a post seemingly after only reading the title and not the actual post, like for example if someone posts that they have this problem with their cat, they just went to the vet today, etc, and then someone says they should go to the vet.
I agree with those.

I don't like it when people don't write their location in (here on TCS) either leave it blank or put your location. It's so cute that you write "with your cats" or some other cute phrase... but that really doesn't tell me WHERE you are. I don't need an exact place... but maybe a general idea?
I agree with you on this one. Normally I don't really care, but it does bother me some when people start threads about "here" relating to the weather, plants, gardens, etc. If you talk about "here" it's nice to have a general idea where that is.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

The interesting thing about people who tend to use lol, especially in chats, is that they don't always use it when they think something is funny. It's sort of the internet version of 'uh huh' that a person uses to prove they're still there and listening. I'm certainly guilty of using it as such.
I am so guilty of that one.

One of my biggest forum pet peeves is when people go from post to post making snippy comments that aren't of any help to the OP. For example when someone is just venting about their work, they get a "you should be happy that you have a job" comment from Miss Snippy.

The most frustrating thing is that these posts are too mild for a moderator to take action, but mean enough to make the OP regret their post. There are usually about 1 or 2 of those in every forum, and I always find it funny when eventually those people complain about other people being mean or that they feel left out on forums, etc.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh and how could I forget? The worst for me are the people who turn every post they make into a soapbox for their political rants. For example:

------------

OP: I am waiting for my passport to arrive, it's been 7 days now. Please send vibes that I get it before my trip in 2 months.

Mr.Prez: I hope you get it soon. It's the damn <insert party affiliation> administration's fault! It seems like everything in the government is run by monkeys.

...or...

OP: I have a vet appointment for Miss Paws to get her ears checked for ear mites. Does anyone know if there is a home remedy I can use to treat the problem?

Mr.Prez: No, but speaking of ear mites, doesn't it #$@& you off that <insert party affiliation> infests this country.

------------

I see this all the time in so many forums I participate in.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think everyone has pretty much covered my pet peeves. I don't like all caps, so I rarely read those. My biggest pet peeves are two of the main ones I've seen mentioned: spam emails and bullies. If you met me in person, you would find that I'm a very down to Earth type person. Now I do stand my ground if I'm a firm believer in something, but I believe in handling things tactfully. I, also, believe in having an open mind, because this person may see a situation from a standing point that I never even thought of. I'll be the first one to admit that I don't know everything and I learn something new almost daily. One problem that I have is when I'm online and I try to explain something to someone, I have to read over it a dozen times before I post and, even then, there are times that it isn't taken the way I intended. I don't believe in belittling people or scolding them for making a mistake. We've all made mistakes at some point in our lives, so these people that think they're perfect...well, they really annoy me. The main thing is that we learn from these mistakes. I'm not a confrontational type person either. It's just so hard sometimes to express my true emotions. So, to sum it up...(yes, I use these too!
)..if I post something and it doesn't sound quiet right, take it as light-heartedly as you can.
Ok, that got a little off topic. Oops! Sorry about that. All I was trying to explain is that it's upsetting how you have to feel like you're walking on thin ice sometimes just to voice your opinion.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TNKittyMom, I know exactly what you're getting at, and it's a very good point. Sometimes we assume the worst of one another when we ought, instead, to think through the possibilities and give each other the benefit of a doubt.

For example, if someone posts what amounts to nothing more than an agreement with a previous response, it's probably because she feels very strongly about the issue and wants to reinforce the point... or because she thinks the original poster may benefit from seeing that a lot of people agree. It would never even cross my mind that she's just trying to increase her "post count!"

When the next poster after me says the same thing I said in my post, I assume he was already composing his post when mine appeared, and didn't see mine until he had already sent his. Sometimes the wording is similar... but I don't assume I'm being copied. And even if I am -- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

When someone uses a long or unusual word, I don't assume she's trying to show off how smart she is. I assume that's just the way she writes, and I enjoy the chance to have my mind challenged and my vocabulary increased.

When someone disagrees with me, I don't take offense unless they state their disagreement in an offensive manner -- sarcastically, for example, or with a superior attitude. Some people are much too quick to take offense to even the most respectfully-expressed disagreement.

Now, having said all that, let me add one more "peeve" (oooh, I hate that word!) that I forgot to mention:

I hate it when people presume to speak for God. I usually don't say anything about it, because I respect their religious beliefs -- but if they respected mine, they would not presume to issue pronouncements on behalf of their idea of God as fact -- as if their words were (so to speak) gospel. They may believe they're speaking divine Truth -- but they should remember and respect the fact that others may not think so.

Okay, now somebody needs to post about how annoying it is when people write such lonnnnng posts...

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remembered another pet peeve!
Oh gosh, here we go!

Everyone can probably understand my frustration behind this one...

Sometimes when I type a messege in a forum, I get taken the wrong way. If I am trying to just type my opinion (nicely), sometimes it's taken that I'm being a
. I try to put in smilies (
) so that way people know I'm not upset, but I don't know if that works or not. I know there's not very much I can do to prevent this from happening, I just hate it when people get mad at me when I'm just being nice.

Who here has had this happen to them?

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest pet peeve is people who type such loooooooong posts

Just kidding!

My biggest pet peeves are also those stupid chain letter email do-dads! UGH! HATE THOSE! I'm sure I have more.....I'll post them as I remember I guess

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I remembered another pet peeve!
Oh gosh, here we go!

Everyone can probably understand my frustration behind this one...

Sometimes when I type a messege in a forum, I get taken the wrong way. If I am trying to just type my opinion (nicely), sometimes it's taken that I'm being a
. I try to put in smilies (
) so that way people know I'm not upset, but I don't know if that works or not. I know there's not very much I can do to prevent this from happening, I just hate it when people get mad at me when I'm just being nice.

Who here has had this happen to them?
Me! Not on this forum but in e-mails or other forums. Of course, you may have seen me just venting about that above.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNKittyMom

Me! Not on this forum but in e-mails or other forums. Of course, you may have seen me just venting about that above.
Yeah.

I've only had it happen to me a couple of times on here. I don't really go on any other forums. I only go on TCS and recently joined Anne's other site Verdant Forums!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone mentioned that a pet peeve was people asking for advice and then not taking it. I think that that happens sometimes because the person asking has already thought of many options and is just trying to find out if there are any she/he hasn't thought of.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it when people talk lyk thiz cuz they thinkz they gotz leet skillz nd gramrz, wOoT!
Makes them sound like they need to go back to elementary school and relearn their English. ARGH!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

I hate it when people talk lyk thiz cuz they thinkz they gotz leet skillz nd gramrz, wOoT!
Makes them sound like they need to go back to elementary school and relearn their English. ARGH!
Wut chu talkin bout Willis?

Luckily, I don't see that too much on TCS! They would be very unliked here because of that!

tinydancer614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Michigan... the state that looks very much like a
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

For some reason, LMAO doesn't bother me as much. Nor does ROFL, or the inevitable combination: ROFLMAO. In fact, since I mentally pronounce it "rofflemau," I actually sort of enjoy that one.
In all honesty, I think "rofflemau" sounds like something my Magrathea says when she's very focused on her playing. Or when I yell "MAGS! Stop it!" Simply because she enjoys knocking everything off of any flat surface she can find. It's her purr/plea asking me to cut her some slack because she's doing her job and being a cat.

But I must confess... no one knows this but my boyfriend...
I say everything I type out loud... sounds, words, and actions.

I also do the "...."! I'm guilty!!

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Your siggy makes me want to just pet that big belly so bad!

End of

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I just can't stand getting emails with a threat if I fail to send it on to 25 of my dearest friends within the next 5 minutes. My parents have even been guilty of this. I asked them why on earth they would send me something with a threat of bad luck (horrible things!) if I didn't forward a stupid email!
Oh yeah! The two other things that really irritate me is SPAM for one...of all kinds. The second thing is when I open AOL sometimes these pop up ads appear. I know you can close them but it is so annoying...