Pet loss and grief

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mods, I hope this OK to post here.
This 16 minute TED talk explains our feelings of grief after losing a pet. I listened to it while doing some cleaning at work and found myself dabbing my eyes. It's an emotional subject, but I found it helpful on dealing with those feelings.
Remember the pause button. If it's too emotional, you can always pause, and listen to the rest later.
My heart goes out to anyone who is grieving a loss, be it recent or from many, many years ago.
:hugs:

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this. Some vets are really good with this subject. When I lost Valentino at the age of ten from IMHA.I wasn't grieving only in ways many think of crying and heartbroken. I was those BUT I was also screaming angry. The why this gentle sweet innocent boy kind of anger. The why didn't I get that damn disease. I would done that in a heartbeat. BUT that wasn't my choice to make.We did everything we could but he was not going to survive. We always want more if I had him twenty I would wanted forty. We need has many tools as we can to get through these times. So what ever your methods this is a good addition . I will need it in the future but hopefully not soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for this. Some vets are really good with this subject. When I lost Valentino at the age of ten from IMHA.I wasn't grieving only in ways many think of crying and heartbroken. I was those BUT I was also screaming angry. The why this gentle sweet innocent boy kind of anger. The why didn't I get that damn disease. I would done that in a heartbeat. BUT that wasn't my choice to make.We did everything we could but he was not going to survive. We always want more if I had him twenty I would wanted forty. We need has many tools as we can to get through these times. So what ever your methods this is a good addition . I will need it in the future but hopefully not soon.
When my Tag was diagnosed with cancer, I took him to a vet and plunked him on the table and told the vet "just fix him." She did a lot for him. I worked remotely with another vet and pretty much told her the same thing..."I don't care what we do so long as it doesn't hurt him. Just....fix him." I did very similar with Goofy, but swore I wasn't going to let my own exhaustion steal anything from us like it did with Tag. I was glad the vet in the video talked about that. That horrible feeling of their well being slipping between your fingers, knowing there's not one thing you can do to stop it, is probably one of the most horrifying and lonely feelings in the world. I would never wish those feelings on anyone, but, sometimes it's helpful knowing you're not alone in those feelings.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll have to watch this later. Right now I'm just not able. I lost Pumpkin three weeks ago today and the pain keeps getting worse. I have no moral support whatsoever from any of my family or people nearby but I do here and I am grateful for that.

I just wish I could get a shelter to take all of his unopened bags of dry food, canned food and litter. Nobody seems to want it. The first shelter ghosted me after I made several attempts to find if they wanted it or not. Their silence must have been their way of saying no. The second shelter, the one that's closest to me, is now doing the same thing. It will have to be binned if I can't find somebody to take it.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While our shelter does not use food donations, they do take them to give to people in need.
Some rescue and groups that work with ferals also take them.
Validation for what you are feeling is one of the main strengths of the video. Yes it will make you cry.The bottom line is finding what works for you has you move through the grieving process I am sorry for your loss of Pumpkin.

Last edited:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a food bank near you? They usually will accept pet food, and probably the litter too.
The shelter director came to my home a couple of days ago to pick up Pumpkin's things and we talked about my becoming a foster parent. I gave her my application and hope to hear back by the end of this week. This shelter's been busy because they are moving to a different location (same city).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The shelter director came to my home a couple of days ago to pick up Pumpkin's things and we talked about my becoming a foster parent. I gave her my application and hope to hear back by the end of this week. This shelter's been busy because they are moving to a different location (same city).
Some lucky little cat out there is about to hit the jackpot, and they don't even know it!
I'm excited for you. I hope the right cat comes into your life at exactly the right moment.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fostering is a great way to also see how you feel with new cats. After mine passed I wasn't sure if I was ready, but fostering helped without the commitment. Plus, you're doing a great thing for other cats and your baby would like that.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fostering is a great way to also see how you feel with new cats. After mine passed I wasn't sure if I was ready, but fostering helped without the commitment. Plus, you're doing a great thing for other cats and your baby would like that.
I can't wait to get another furbaby. Once I get one I will be sure to tell him/her all about their big brother Pumpkin!