Pet Insurance And Pre-existing Conditions

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Much to my dismay, roman was suggested to be a FLUTD cat this week. I was in the middle of enrolling him in insurance thinking he was just constipated because that’s what the vet told me first. I wasn’t expecting to be reimbursed for constipation issues, but it turned out he had struvite crystals. Now certain insurance companies (not pets best) allow re-evaluation if the cat hasn’t shown symptoms in X months. Does this apply to struvite crystals/FLUTD in anyone’s known experience? I kinda touched basis with this in another thread. I just wanted to address pet insurance this time.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't personally have pet insurance but wanted to try and address your question. It is my understanding that pet insurance plans vary widely so if it were me I would call the company you are planning to enroll him in and ask them. I would also get any information from them in writing so that there is no dispute later on. This way you won't spend any unnecessary money and have the information to make an informed decision. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm sure other members will weigh in with their experience(s). Good luck!:goodluck:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't personally have pet insurance but wanted to try and address your question. It is my understanding that pet insurance plans vary widely so if it were me I would call the company you are planning to enroll him in and ask them. I would also get any information from them in writing so that there is no dispute later on. This way you won't spend any unnecessary money and have the information to make a decision. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm sure other members will weigh in with their experience(s). Good luck!:goodluck:
it's ok, you still helped me by replying. thank you.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Trupanion has an 18 months lookback for determining preexisting conditions. I do not know about the re-evaluation. But I figure even if none of Krista's IBD or pancreatitis will be covered, she could still get hit by a car or get cancer or any number of bank-breaking conditions that are not currently pre-existing. I don't want to be left in a spot asking whether I can afford the treatment. I probably piss away a premium's worth on far dumber things each month so this is isn't the worst investment I continue to make. ;)