pet fountain question

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, guys.. .I don't know if this is the right place to put this or perhaps Health or Nutrition.

I am thinking about going back to using at least one pet fountain for my cats, but DEFINITELY not plastic. I use a dental water additive and it went gummy on me really fast. Gummed up the filter, too.

Sooooo, been reading reviews on stainless and ceramic fountains and I am seeing that these are less likely to get slimy as fast as the plastic ones.

Anyone have a preference - stainless v. ceramic?

Thanks!!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If we were going to replace the one we had- I'd go with a stainless steel one. 

The motor died on the plastic one we have.  We went on vacation, forgot to tell the teenager watching the animals she had to keep it full.  The pump went dry and it burned out.  We were looking at a stainless steel one- but then I found a new pump for it.  Bought it, and it worked

The fountain cost us nothing, we got it when we took Jasper in. 

I know what you mean about the plastic ones getting "slimy".  We currently only have 1 cat using it, and it still gets pretty nasty in the span of a week.  Even though we could let it go longer, lately I've been dumping whatever's in there after a week. 

That reminds me, I need filters..........

Cheryl

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forget what type of fountain I got. My kitty just stared at it like it was an alien. After a week of no interest, I returned it.

But that brings up why I'm posting. Make sure the place you get it from allows returns if you use it.  Some pet stores will allow that in order to get people to take risks and purchase items like that, some won't. I saved all the packaging and thoroughly washed it, then wiped it off with alcohol.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I have a stainless one and it's really easy to clean (technically, I can take to motor off and put it through the dishwasher if I like. That being said, it is louder than most of the plastic ones I've ever seen - if h water drops more than an inch, you can really hear it splashing against the bowl. Doesn't really bother me, but just thought I'd mention it.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had both stainless and ceramic. I actually prefer the ceramic as a material ( I had a pioneer pet) but the design was prone to leaking water over the side. I currently have a stainless drinkwell 360. I lost the pump on the pioneer pet one and I decided to get a bigger fountain. The drinkwell works fine although it's pretty thin stainless. It still has plastic parts though, the pump, riser and clips are all plastic and they do get slimy. The ceramic pioneer pet only the pump was plastic because the design didn't require the extra parts. 

Personally I can't wait till someone comes up with an even better design for a pet fountain. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought the stainless drinkwell 360, I do like it, and my cats like it, but I didn't know it was so BIG, it must be at least 12 inches in diameter! I hope I get used to it! I wish they could come up with a way to make the pumps a little quieter too. But it sure makes my cats drink more, they are fascinated! Plus my 12 year old no longer begs at the sink!