Pet Emergency Kits?

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple things I keep on hand for emergencies:

- several different sizes of food syringes. Never know which one is going to work best in certain situations
- a small water syringe. I like to use this one for raw, goat milk which is very healthy, hydrating and a good source of nutrition and probiotics.
- pill gun (I have a few on hand, just in case)
- empty gel pill capsules
- I use these for two reasons. 1 - I don't like to give cats a dry pill because it can get stuck on the sides of their esophagus and cause damage. The gel cap helps insure it doesn't stick and helps the pills journey to the stomach. 2 - If you need to give the cat various medications and depending on the size of the pills you have to give, sometimes you can fit a few in one gel cap. So you only have to pill them once instead of pilling them a few times in a row.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since one of our cats is almost always sick, our kitty emergency kit tends to stay pretty well stocked these days -- especially with hurricane season officially just around the corner.

These are some of the things we keep on hand when veterinary care may not be available for awhile. Oh, say like during a hurricane. :wink:
  • Products for minor wound care, such as Chlorhexidine flush, Betadine, Vetericyn VF, Manuka honey, Epsom salt, sterile gauze, and tape.
  • Calming treats, and Feliway spray or wipes
  • Syringes in 3, 5, and 10 mL sizes
  • Several jars of baby food
  • Pedialyte and Nutrical
  • Cornstarch for when nails get snagged beyond the quick and bleed a bit
  • Any other OTC remedies for problems our cats have from time to time, and which have been approved by our vet (e.g., for nausea, diarrhea, constipation, hairballs, ear inflammation, stuffy noses, etc.)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Of course I can pack some of their current food and some bottles of water, so don’t worry about listing that.
So you arent thinking in first hand medical emergencies, alike a little case of emergency gears, but you are sooner thinking on what to do, if a hurricane alarm comes, and you are told to leave the area in a hurry, so how you can make sure you have all you need for your pets, while you (and them) are evacuating??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can find real glucose sugar / dextrose, its always handy, for cats and for humans. Many uses, often in emergencies.

If you cant find real dextrose, honey or white caro syrup are working, but not as efficient.

It seems to be difficult to find glucose sugar proper in USA, here in Sweden we have it easily. Both on baking shelves in half kilo cartoons full of dextrose powder, and as candy for sportsmen.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If we're talking general "pet" emergency kit, I do keep some other things for my dog like Benadryl, ibuprofen, pepto bismol.
Be careful not to use the same emergency kit for cats. Especially the ibuprofen. A cat can bleed to death internally within a few hours after ingesting ibuprofen.

The benedryl is probably ok, but I'd check with a vet first. I don't know about pepto bismol.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful not to use the same emergency kit for cats. Especially the ibuprofen. A cat can bleed to death internally within a few hours after ingesting ibuprofen.

The benedryl is probably ok, but I'd check with a vet first. I don't know about pepto bismol.
Yes, i dont really know much about medicating cats. You can always call poison control although they will charge you for the call or you can call an emergency clinic and they can direct you. Or call your regular vet