Pet Carrier Terror!

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old male cat that goes into shred mode when you try to get him in a pet carrier...Anyone got any suggestions about how to get him in one without to much stress.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leave it out and open for a day before or even for several. You can also throw treats in there while he is watching in the days before. You may have to repeat the process each time, but it does work -- for scheduled vet visits anyway.

If you want to deal with possible time sensitive situations, the only thing I can say is that it helps to have a 2 cat-sized carrier, even for a single cat. I'm told it also helps to have one with an opening on top, but I've never had that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy rose gloves, Amazon has them. We also have Kevlar arm sleeves, but every time I need to box kit I'm in a hurry and forget them. I use the grab and shove method. If you can grab the front legs and push them in first followed by the head.

Yesterday it almost didn't work because the person in the house behind us had accidentally set his yard on fire and the smoke freaked her. Me, too, actually. He and Nature, got the fire put out, thankfully. Kit managed to make herself wider somehow and grabbed the carrier door.

Another way that might work for you if you have the carrier with the wider door, is to throw a towel over kit, scoop and shove into the carrier.

Those who can pick up their cat and the cat only struggle not fight, find it works better to up end the carrier so you are lowering the cat into the carrier rather than shoving her in.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a cozy little space that your cat likes to lay in, you can leave it out there on a perminant basis. Create a cozy cat den.
....or "kitty cabana" as I used to call it. A nice soft carrier pad, or folded towel in there will be nice. Give treats in thete sometimes too.
This way it wont have such a negative association, only coming out when its time to go to the vets. It can becaome his special little space of his own. I had a larger one that a small cat bed even fit in, so that was nice.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always just left the carrier out as if it were pet furniture. I put a blanket inside, some toys, catnip, treats. Now that my cats are/were older, I would get it out and they would fight to go into it. Don't just bring it out when it is time to go to the vet. Number 1, cats don't like new things/change. Number 2 they will associate it with going to the vet/car rides which most cats don't like.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always just left the carrier out as if it were pet furniture. I put a blanket inside, some toys, catnip, treats. Now that my cats are/were older, I would get it out and they would fight to go into it. Don't just bring it out when it is time to go to the vet. Number 1, cats don't like new things/change. Number 2 they will associate it with going to the vet/car rides which most cats don't like.
Exactly Jen! :yeah:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What the others said about leaving it out works well enough with mine. She's first in when the weather radio sounds the alert and we go downstairs. I think the smoke made a difference.

And treats, lots of treats in the box, under the cushion and a bunch dropped in when the cat is inside. Note, some cats get car sick.