Pet Boarding And Cat Hotels

katsehh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am brand new to this forum so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong section.

My family and I are going on vacation this weekend and we need a place for our cat to stay. Last minute, I know. My parents hate the idea of giving anyone their key, and asking a friend to take care of him is apparently not an option.

If you have had experience with pet boarding or pet hotels in general, what are the criteria I should be looking for that I might miss? So far I'm thinking there should be enough space for me to take a few steps, or at least some vertical space. Hopefully a good amount of play time, if he's not too scared to play with them. He doesn't take any medication so I don't have to worry about that. I'll be bringing a few toys, his own food (not that he's picky by any existing standard, but still), and a blankie. Once I find a place (hopefully today or tomorrow), I'll look into getting the vaccinations I need ASAP. Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Kind of a side note: my mom keeps mentioning that he would probably be fine on his own at home. In terms of food, he paces himself pretty well and we could get away with not scooping the litter for 2-3 days. He's also very nervous around strangers and I'm pretty sure he hasn't met anyone without me mediating since I got him, so he would probably prefer being at home. I'm also getting flashbacks from the first time I brought him home from his old owner's house and how he didn't eat for ~6 days and how I pretty much didn't see him anywhere but under my bed, in random cupboards, or behind the drawer box things. However, the whole idea of him being alone without supervision makes ME anxious and I can't help thinking "what if he closes the door and can't reach his food" or "what if he falls down from the table and breaks his back" or whatever. Thoughts?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any experience with boarding or cat hotels, I always get a professional pet sitter to check in on Charlie, although I know that one vet in my town also does boarding, for cats only, and the reviews I've read online seem positive. I still think that getting someone to check in on your kitty is the best option, less stressful for your kitty because he will be in his familiar environment, but if there's no way you can negotiate that with your parents, I do think that's a better option than just leaving your kitty at home by himself. 2-3 days is a long time to go without cleaning the litterbox, and at least with boarding he will get some human interaction.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tour the facility and ask questions about how it is run. Is there staff overnight to keep an eye on the pets? How are emergencies handled (vet or building issues)? Do pets get playtime outside of the cage and for how long? Are the cages sanitized on a regular schedule? What kind of cage is a cat housed in? A typical one level cage or one of the fancier multi-level cages or a whole suite? Ect. Does the facility look clean and well kept inside and out? How about the employees? Are they friendly and really love their job or couldn't care less about the job? Look for online reviews for the facility. Are there any negative ones?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not leave a cat alone for that many days. Aside from the litter box, I'd be more concerned about safety issues. I'm no fan of boarding cats but it seems you haven't a better choice due to your mom's criteria.
As suggested by LTS3 LTS3 , you should see for yourself what facilities look like and ascertain the level of care provided. One other thing not mentioned is to be sure that the cats are in a separate room than dogs are. The barking will not be a good environment for your cat. We nearly boarded our two recently and were very disappointed in our vet's facility. Not only was it sterile and cold, just plain cages that could barely fit a litterbox and a cat) but they didn't offer 24 hour care. The cats would be locked up in cages the entire night. I hated that idea and didn't think it would be handled well by either of them, especially Casper who is 16 and ill. Any other feline based boarding was too far to drive which was unfortunate because there's an excellent facility about 1/2 hour away. Luckily, 2 of my husbands good friends offered, and stayed in the house with the cats. It was the best scenario but I understand that isn't possible for you.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I retired I had to travel for work on a regular basis. If it was a five day or longer trip, always had someone come in. But if it was a couple of days and I didn't have a young cat or a very old one at the time I would leave them with multiple kibble bowls and water dishes and they were fine.

My current cat, however can't be left without a sitter because she overeats if allowed to self feed and left with three days worth of food she will finish it in one.

So, it just sort of depends on the cat, the length of trip, their eating habits and your comfort level leaving your cat alone. If you do opt for a sitter, someone who knows the cat is best but some times you just need to use a service.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katsehh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want a pet sitter too, so I'm hoping they can ask someone they trust or somehow push for a professional. Do you usually ask him or her to come once a day, more, less? I looked up a few boarding places with amazing reviews, but I like the idea of him staying in such a limited space as much as I like the idea of him being alone the whole weekend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katsehh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tour the facility and ask questions about how it is run. Is there staff overnight to keep an eye on the pets? How are emergencies handled (vet or building issues)? Do pets get playtime outside of the cage and for how long? Are the cages sanitized on a regular schedule? What kind of cage is a cat housed in? A typical one level cage or one of the fancier multi-level cages or a whole suite? Ect. Does the facility look clean and well kept inside and out? How about the employees? Are they friendly and really love their job or couldn't care less about the job? Look for online reviews for the facility. Are there any negative ones?
This is so perfect! I wrote all this down on my phone, so thank you very much.

As suggested by LTS3 LTS3 , you should see for yourself what facilities look like and ascertain the level of care provided. One other thing not mentioned is to be sure that the cats are in a separate room than dogs are. The barking will not be a good environment for your cat.
I didn't even think of that. I guess I assumed that they would be kept separate because it just makes sense to do so, and I would assume that vets would know that. Glad you found an alternative!

So, it just sort of depends on the cat, the length of trip, their eating habits and your comfort level leaving your cat alone. If you do opt for a sitter, someone who knows the cat is best but some times you just need to use a service.
Yeah that makes sense. My mom seems fine with it but I'm a worryer haha.

Last edited: