Persuading To Get Another Cat/kitten For My 5mnth Old Kitten

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really feel broody for one more addition but my mother, who isn't a fan of animals, is against the idea. Sooo, surely it's best if I asked the fellow feline enthusiasts for advice?

Plus, I already have made a plan on how to introduce them

- Pick up the rescue kitten/cat
- Place them in my room and let said 5 month kitten roam around. She'll meow at the door but it's for the best
- Day 2 or 3 whenever the kitten gets comfortable with me and then swap the two kitten/cats' places for a day
- Another day is getting them to feed near by each other but not in the same room.
- Letting them meet for the first time w supervision
- Then slowly let them be without supervision depending on how it goes

Honestly I feel like I should just turn up since my mum didn't want one before until I had our little Nalah delivered and she eventually grew to love her!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The question is...who is paying all the bills for the new kitten? Who buys the food, litter or will pay for the vet?
If the answer is your mom and she doesn't want another animal, then maybe you should not get a new kitten.
If the answer is you and you alone, then I would seriously discuss this issue with her since it is her house.

I'm not discouraging you from a kitten. I'm just slapping the truth of reality at you. If it were your house and funds, then I would say "do it". But you must consider the reality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The question is...who is paying all the bills for the new kitten? Who buys the food, litter or will pay for the vet?
If the answer is your mom and she doesn't want another animal, then maybe you should not get a new kitten.
If the answer is you and you alone, then I would seriously discuss this issue with her since it is her house.

I'm not discouraging you from a kitten. I'm just slapping the truth of reality at you. If it were your house and funds, then I would say "do it". But you must consider the reality.
I pay/have paid my kitten's insurance, litter and food and handle all of that myself. The only thing my mum does is feed her when the dry food runs out and I am out, which is rare. I will try to have a conversation with her like I did the first time but she just doesn't like the litter smell

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try a different litter or an additive. I use clay litter because one of my cats is allergic to any scents. Which means I dump and rinse the box every day. There is no odor at all coming from the box.
There is a equine stall product called Sweet PDZ. It is a stall freshener and even with 9 horses in a barn, I had very little smell and no flies. I did clean them everyday though. You only need a sprinkle of it. Same with baking soda, it works OK and does help with smell.

If it's only the smell she doesn't like, then I hope you can convince her to give another kitten a chance.
There are things you can do for smell.

Good luck and I hope she comes around to another kitten.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay/have paid my kitten's insurance, litter and food and handle all of that myself. The only thing my mum does is feed her when the dry food runs out and I am out, which is rare. I will try to have a conversation with her like I did the first time but she just doesn't like the litter smell
If the cats are your financial responsibility and you do most of the work, this is very good!
I'm a bad one to ask because if I asked my Mother for a cat when I was a kid, she'd say "no..let's get two" LOL.
I understand her stance on the litter, but you might in a round about way mention that the litter will be there with one cat or 10!
Some cats are happiest being the only cat, but some cats are much happier with a friend. And sometimes cats that are stirring up trouble around the house are just bored, and a companion helps this.
I'm not telling you to defy when your Mom is against, because we need to be respectful in this way. If she didn't want the first cat but grew to love her, that's encouraging but not always a deal breaker.
Hopefully things work out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the cats are your financial responsibility and you do most of the work, this is very good!
I'm a bad one to ask because if I asked my Mother for a cat when I was a kid, she'd say "no..let's get two" LOL.
I understand her stance on the litter, but you might in a round about way mention that the litter will be there with one cat or 10!
Some cats are happiest being the only cat, but some cats are much happier with a friend. And sometimes cats that are stirring up trouble around the house are just bored, and a companion helps this.
I'm not telling you to defy when your Mom is against, because we need to be respectful in this way. If she didn't want the first cat but grew to love her, that's encouraging but not always a deal breaker.
Hopefully things work out!
The perks of budgeting and having a good part time summer job!

I think I'll wait until we get our kitchen redone before persuading. I think, if we can design the kitchen in a way that the litter trays are hidden and I can find a product to reduce the smell then it might be the winning combination.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It might be a good idea to wait until after the kitchen is redone to get a new cat, regardless. All the noise, and people coming and going, might make it difficult for a new cat to settle in and feel at home. Any tension during the introductory phase is not ideal, since you want the cats to get along. If the resident cat is frightened by the noise and commotion, they may not take to the new cat as easily, and vice versa.
Plus, f you get the hidden litter tray area worked in to the new design, you will have bargaining power with your mom. I use a product called Non Scents in my litter box, and it really helps with the smell (but I also scoop 2x a day, so there isn't much sitting there.) I like this better than baking soda because I feel the amount of baking soda you have to add for it to work makes the litter very dusty, and this gets on the cat's coat when it uses the box. Afterwards, they will groom themselves and be eating it.