Personality Change??

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Prince has always, and I mean always been hyperactive. He'll be running around like crazy, attacking my feet at night while I'm in bed and overall running about. Yes he's mellowed out a little since he's getting closer to a year, but still he's fairly active.

Now, bringing Nikita home, something's changed. I've not seen what I've affectionally nicknamed "hyper kitty" at all in the last week or two. He's not gone after my feet at night, not running all over the place, but is now laying around like Garfield. Hell, in the last couple of days, he's stopped pouncing and chasing Nikita around. (sometimes he looks like he's tensing when he walks by, stares at her a bit and then continues walking wherever he was going, no aggression). Of course he seems a whole lot calmer, not like a gradual mellowing out but just a total change from hyper, bouncing off walls to calm relaxed cat.

Maybe Nikita's rubbing off on him in the sense that she's the calm, relaxed, chill lap cat. I don't know, but she's not been hiding under the bed at all that I know of over the last couple days, she's been out and about throughout the apartment and he hasn't chased her under the bed or even waited outside the bed while watching her.

Did I miss something or is it normal? I'm not hugely concerned because I like his calmness, but at the same time, I'm hoping he's not depressed or something (though he doesn't show many signs of that, still eating and playing when I bring out the toys)

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's just adjusting to the new situation in his little head. It sounds positive though but it may go through several different behaviour changes along the way. It sounds like a good start so good luck, it'll work out fine and dandy I'm sure.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's at the vet now. I just noticed him limping. He's been laying around all day and I didn't get to see him moving until just recently. I have to wait for her to check on him because there were no open appointments yet. I'm really worried about him. Nothing felt broken when I checked his legs, but on one hind leg he meowed when I applied a bit of pressure to it. I don't know if he took a jump wrong or something, but I'm incredibly worried.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope so. I can't stop worrying though. It can't be a broken leg, he would have been in a lot more pain, right? Maybe just a sprain? Hopefully nothing

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed it's nothing serious. :crossfingers: :redheartpump: :catrub:
Vet called and I went to get him. She said she looked all over and only found that he had some tension in his paw/foot. It's not too painful, so I didn't put him on pain meds. He's moving around, taking it easy. She said it's possible he sprained it or caught it on something, but that it's nothing severe. So relieved.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course I'm spoiling him now with treats and attention. He's currently basking in the sun, laying down and getting some rest

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad he's back home, and that it wasn't anything serious. Hopefully that is the reason for his mellow behaviour, and once he's all better, he'll be back to his normal self. :heartshape:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if something happened sooner than his time out--he jumped and landed wrong, or twisted something? Either way, I'm still glad he's home and without anything broken =)

Anytime we bring a new kid into the mix the dynamics change....some get a little reclusive, others are THRILLED ("NEW KID!") and some of them intensify; one of my dogs that was playful before became intensely playful with this new kid. I was happy, but after a few weeks, the intensity of his play (lots of staring, lots of quick movements, etc.) made me nervous (it seemed almost competitive) but things were ironed out soon.
Looking back, a lot of my cats started mellowing out a bit around 1-2 years. They didn't become lethargic or stop playing, but that insane kitten-playing stuff settled a bit into normal cat-play.
You obviously love these guys a ton =)