Personality change in cats after giving birth

qsab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I adopted Luci around a month and a half ago not ever realising she was pregnant as the change to her must have already happed before the adoption. She gave birth three days ago and has been distant with me ever since.
She used to always come to what ever room I was in and we would both just enjoy each other’s company, every morning as soon as she would see me she would meow like crazy and run all around out of happiness and rub up against my legs when I gave her food. Now she moves her head away from me when I pet her, she has never been aggressive and Still isn’t, nor Does she mind me petting her kittens. She meowed at me at the start out of distress to hide her kittens perhaps because theplace she gave birth was too out in the open? After setting up a box with blankets etc she stopped meowing or coming to me at all even when I give her food or when she takes breaks away from the kittens.
I understand that her kittens require all her attention for the moment but I’m a little devastated thinking she may have only been so affectionate because she was pregnant from our first encounter and this may just be her.
If anyone has had a similar experience, do you know if it will pass or if I need to adjust to this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qsab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I say changes I mean enlarged nipples, bigger belly etc

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pregnant cats will be much more affectionate. They will also do a lot of rubbing as you mentioned. She may not be as affectionate but she still loves you and wants to spend time with you. Just want until the kittens are weaned and see how she acts.