Personality Change After Being Spayed

projectsyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm worried that my baby's surgery may have affected her personality. It's been two days and she has been hiding more often than usual and isn't her affectionate loving self. She usually is waiting for us at the bedroom door every morning for breakfast and does backflips because she's excited to see us. I'm hoping this is just temporary while she recovers from surgery and hoping to get some reassurance otherwise.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
A spay is a fairly major surgery (in contrast to a neuter which is isn't even invasive). She's still recovering. After about a week, she should be back to her energetic self.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat acted oddly after her spay for a bit, too. it is stressful on the body and psyche, so expect it to take a little while to recover.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

projectsyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is back to her self, just a little less energetic and a little more cuddly I find.

Purplekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is back to her self, just a little less energetic and a little more cuddly I find.
I'm glad your kitty returned to herself. Worried about mine...trying to find out about this problem. It's been 3 weeks and she growls any time we touch her. She growls and hisses at all the other cats in the house even the ones she groomed and loved before. She's a year-and-a-half-old and no she did not not declawed. I want my sweet kitty back we can't even touch her. Makes me sad. She is completely recovered physically but like a different cat. Can't hormone changes affect animals like people?

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purplekitty Purplekitty Have you called your veterinarian? I'm not a vet but sometimes growling/hissing when we touch them can mean pain. This may or may not be the case, but taking her to the vet and having her checked out may be a good idea. Good luck and keep us updated :vibes:

Purplekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purplekitty Purplekitty Have you called your veterinarian? I'm not a vet but sometimes growling/hissing when we touch them can mean pain. This may or may not be the case, but taking her to the vet and having her checked out may be a good idea. Good luck and keep us updated :vibes:
I think my kitty was not feeling well. When I got home she was laying down near her kittens and she let me pet her with no problem. She may have been grumpy with the kittens because two of them had just come back from the vet's office getting neutered and I noticed that even their sister was hissing at them so they must have noticed something was different. I'm still going to keep a close eye on her, but I think she's going to be okay!
20180420_232519.jpg