Persistent teary eye in cat

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any tips for a cat who has a persistent teary eye, or have a cat with a similar issue? Three veterinarians at two practices think it's just a congenital thing and not an eye infection (he had sniffles and an eye infection as a kitten but that has long since cleared up per the vets, and there's no remaining sign of any problems with the eye itself, except for the fact it's very teary).

I usually just get a very soft cloth damp and clean up any black tear residue from his face once a day or so, or if I notice his fur is particularly damp.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fiona herself had this....for 16 years. She had a URI when I rescued her at about 5 weeks old and was treated for that, but one eye was always teary. Over the years, and I mean all 16 of them, I took her to the vet periodically for it, as the skin seemed a little sore in the corner of the eye from time to time. I was usually given an antibiotic ointment, used it, problem gone for a while, then appeared again. It never got better or worse but persisted. I am not telling you not to watch it or pursue it if you suspect something else is wrong though. There are veterinary ophthalmologists if you need to go that route.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Hannah has weepy eyes, but she also has allergies and feline herpes virus. Your kitty could have airborne allergies (like in humans) and might benefit from a daily antihistamine.

Last edited:

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My longhaired cat seemed to have one eye prone to inward eyelashes; it wasn't constant, but she'd maybe once a month have one eye closed and weepy. I would wipe it down, smoothing the hairs away from her eye, and sometimes use preservative free lubricating eye drops (human grade, ok'd by my vet) to sooth it, and it would settle again.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my darlings eyes weep from time to time. Usually a few days with a couple of sneezes. A warm (not hot), damp cloth and a light wiping helps her. (Same as what you are doing for your baby boy.)

It can be allergies and feline herpes virus. A number of other things.

Is it persistent, or does it come and go and only last a few days?

Good that he's been to the Doctor. :-) Always best as eyes are so delicate.

I add a shot every year for upper respiratory as I have a multiple cat home and if one gets a kitty cold, they'd call get a kitty cold so that helps a bit for the others. I think of it as a flu shot. If you have a multi-cat home it can be worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat now? If he's had this problem since he was a kitten it could possibly be a symptom of an underlying medical issue. Here's an Article about eye problems in cats that might have some helpful information for you:
Eye Problems In Cats: What Every Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles
Yes, he's had it as long as I've had him (he's about seven months now). I did think it was herpes virus at first (and I'm pretty sure both of my kittens had it when I first got them) - but his one eye remains teary (It's just tears, it isn't the kind of eye gunk that the kittens had when they were first sick with an URI). Both veterinary practices I took him to (he was neutered at a different vet than his normal one) looked at his eyes and said there was no sign of any continuing conjunctivitis. It might be slightly better or worse on any given day but it's never absent.

Esther 1967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone have any tips for a cat who has a persistent teary eye, or have a cat with a similar issue? Three veterinarians at two practices think it's just a congenital thing and not an eye infection (he had sniffles and an eye infection as a kitten but that has long since cleared up per the vets, and there's no remaining sign of any problems with the eye itself, except for the fact it's very teary).

I usually just get a very soft cloth damp and clean up any black tear residue from his face once a day or so, or if I notice his fur is particularly damp.
I have with great success sorted watery eyes and a strange single glassy eye issue in 2 consecutive mornings with:
A quarter teaspoon of Bicarb and 1 teaspoon of salt dissolved in a cup of cooled boiled water. (Warm water is nice and soothing).
Using cotton wool puffs soaked in this solution. 1 ball per eye (avoiding cross contamination) gently wiping and squeezing out excess,
wipe gently and firmly squeezing little bits of the solution from the cotton wool balls from the inside corner of the eye to the outer corner.

Please try and tell me if this works for you.