Persistent meowing at 3AM?

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. One is almost seven (Asher) and the other is almost three (Jack). Asher seems to have developed a new and very annoying habit. Almost every night around 3 or 4 AM he begins persistently meowing. If the bedroom door is closed he will sit outside the door and meow. If it's open he will come into the room and meow. It is very annoying and wakes me up. Nothing has changed around the house so I can't figure out what the deal is? Anyone have any suggestions?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to my world! i have wilbur, the most talkative cat on the planet.

his schedule changes (sleeping and playing schedule). Now he wakes at about 3am, and wants to play. jumping on my face numerous times.

But there are times when he just meows and meows and meows. I feed him, nothing, give him treats, nothing, give him catnip, nothing, pick him up and pet him, nothing, get his favorite toy out, nothing. I can't figure out anything that will stop it. it gets me very frustrated and i wish I could fix it. But he just does it. Then after he's done he'll curl up and go to sleep.

Been this way, every single night, for 1.5 years now.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're not doing this already, you could try leaving a small bowl of dry food out at bedtime. It could be he's hungry in the middle of the night (and wants you to get up and serve breakfast!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

If you're not doing this already, you could try leaving a small bowl of dry food out at bedtime. It could be he's hungry in the middle of the night (and wants you to get up and serve breakfast!).
He does have a small bowl of dry food but maybe I should check it before I go to bed and make sure it's full. Maybe that is it. When it's not full he will lead us to it and make sure we fill it. Thanks!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think it is in their natures. Carly will bring a toy into the bedroom about 4am and sing to it. It isn't a howl, but a varied bit of meowing.

Though if it is sudden, you may want to have Asher checked for hyperthyroidism. My vet says that vocalizing is one of the symptoms of it. We found that out when we had our senior checked for other problems. Her blood work showed her to have it.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Getting thyroid tests is a very good idea. Whenever your cat's behavior changes, it's worth having the cat checked out.

(Loud vocalizing can be a sign of dementia, too, but not at age 7.)

Chances are that you have yet another male cat who likes to chat, pontificate, and give recitations in the middle of the night.

Our male Persian — Persians are supposed to be mellow, soft-voiced, lazy creatures — sounds like he's being fed into a wood-chipper around 4 am. Other nights, he sounds like a cranky human baby trying to speak. Creepy.

Leaving food out is a good idea, and it's very important not to reinforce this behavior by getting up, talking, or doing anything to show you are paying attention. (I do know that throwing things, like pillows, just can't be helped sometimes.)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Park the vacuum cleaner in the "on" position outside your door and put the plug near an outlet in your room. Every time the cat sits outside your door and meows, plug in the vacuum cleaner. He'll soon get the idea that if he meows, the vacuum will come on.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Park the vacuum cleaner in the "on" position outside your door and put the plug near an outlet in your room. Every time the cat sits outside your door and meows, plug in the vacuum cleaner. He'll soon get the idea that if he meows, the vacuum will come on.
I live in an apartment,
my neighbors would love that.

My cats wake up between 2 and 3PM every morning...
I have given up trying to control them.
Sleep? What's that?

I do agree that a change in behavior would need a trip to the vet, to rule out a health issue.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Brilliant, bf is watching a documentary and I suddenly burst out laughing
. Bf would have the fright of his life if I had did that! I might try it one night when he's in the bad books

penstemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, you might try what happen with Kato. This is a senior apartment and people are often up at different hours of the night. They arrived home at almost every time. Often cook at night. We would want to eat. If you are eating he wants to eat his food not yours. Because I was afraid that his crying we would get a complaint and have problems, I gave into him. I knew it was not a good thing. Anyway, 2 months ago he swallow a black plastic tie-on. We didn't know what was causing the vomiting. He went to the vet. They did all kinds of tests like an edema, cut his claws, etc. The vet said one day when we picked up. His look said you really not going to this. We pick him up every night. The barium showed something was present and was moving down the tract. so we waited before doing surgery. the fourth day the vet call us you better pick him as he has decided not to do anything for us. He later past the tie-on. He has not asked for food at night and wait for us. No demanding except for his daily walk. I feel he thinks he will go back to that place.
I learned from obedience training my German Shorthairs you had better know what the animal is thinking before you can solve a problem. they don't always think like we do. Example: No means to stop doing what ever you doing. To Kato it means to continue doing as I have gotten their attention.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree a vet check to rule out health related issues... but a LITTLE word of advice felines ARE NOCTURNAL by nature
... If I want a good nights sleep it = good long playtime before bed or keep the door closed and my radio or tv on