Persistent dandruff

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends, I hope u r doing well. Please, I have a question and it is at follows: my four years old male car suffers from dandruff. Recently I noticed some dandruff at the very end of his back I tried brushing, but in vain. I used the glove brush. I gave him a shower yesterday. A very good shower, but today when I brushed him I noticed the dandruff again. I have two possibilities but I’m not sure yet so it’s either brushing because I brush him one day yes and one day no or maybe the wet food. I give him Purina gold gourmet. I believe it’s because of the wet food because when I stopped ggiving him Gourmet gold, the dandruff stopped, but as soon as I feed it again back, it comes back. It is not bothering him at all but still I don’t like to see him with dandruff. What do you think guys? Thank You

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be that he's allergic to something specific in that recipe. He might need a different recipe or brand of food.

Brushing him should help with the dandruff.

Some male cats are also bad at grooming. That can impact dandruff.

It the dandruff is only seasonal, it could be dry skin from heating or air conditioning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed that the dandruff mostly occurs when he eats gourmet gold. At first this wet food didn’t do anything to him but now I noticed that. I thought I got rid of it when I gave him a thorough shower yesterday but to my surprise, it’s back this morning. His vet prescribed him an anti dandruff shampoo. Idk whether to grab it and give him another shower or wait few days and see

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly believe that bathing a cat is likely to cause more dandruff than it is going to remove. It really doesn't matter what kind of shampoo it is, cats are not really meant to be bathed, especially on any regular basis. It can actually dry out a cat's skin.

I had a cat who had a lot of dander, it didn't bother her and it caused no issues for her. I brushed her which helped but it did not get rid of the dander. I did find that her dander was worse in dry/arid weather, and winter months.

It sounds like you are the only one bothered by this, so unless you want to try other foods and/or add an Omega-3 to his diet, I'd let this go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help. I have just bought salmon oil to supplement his diet. I appreciate it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have just bought salmon oil to supplement his diet.
Just to be on the safe side, start with a low amount and over time increase it, to let his body/digestive system get used to it. No different than giving a cat a new food. It may not be necessary, but I like being overly-cautious! :wink:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he eat any other food besides the gold? Poor quality diet seems to be the most common culprate in my experience.

Don't bathe him, that stripps the oils that moisturize the skin out. Its also why people use conditioner. If anything a brushing with a fine toothed comb might help distribute the moisturizing oils from the skin.