Persistent Congestion

arleross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 11 year old Siamese female became nasally congested, with yellow mucus discharge from one nostril. Took her to the vet, who said that her temperature was normal. So was her blood work. She can smell enough to eat strongly smelling cat food, and she is drinking adequately. The vet has given her two injections of antibiotic over three weeks, but the congestion continued. The vet thinks that there is a foreign body up the nostril with the discharge and wants us to get her nostril scoped. I can't see how a foreign body can cause the flu-like congestion. Is this true? Any other ideas? Thanks very much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it is only from nostril, I can see why the vet might think it is related to an object of some sort in that side of her nose. It would seem to me that if it were flu-like congestion, it would - at least occasionally - be coming from both sides.

Is an x-ray a 'first step' option, if you are worried about the nasal scope?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just asked my hubby, who was a nurse prior to retirement, and he said it's very possible that this could be something lodged in her nasal passage. Mucus can form to try to protect the surrounding tissue from something foreign in there. And, naturally, if that's the case, antibiotics won't help.

He also told me how they used to treat this in the ER on babies and toddler, but not sure you want to try to do it to a cat, OR if would even work. (plug the other nostril and blow hard into their mouth. He said usually the object comes flying out)