Persil needs Board magic NOW

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny,

I bet you are so exhausted. You probably aren't getting very restful sleep, are you? Hope Persil is getting better

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't realize you were back Jenny, so I just now caught up. Poor baby Persil, she sure isn't catching any lucky breaks, is she?! Good thoughts still coming your way.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Thanks for the tip about compresses. I have used surgical tape to stick the dressing on her under the tube bandage, then the bandage, then a ring of tape around her tummy on top of the bandage. She has not got that lot off yet, and it is preventing her either licking or scratching the abscess, though the poor thing is finding walking difficult with all the stuff on her. She is still eating well though, which is a good sign.
Pooor baby. It's too bad we can't sit them down and explain to them why they have to be bandaged. It would be so much easier if we could. Still thinking of her. So glad she's eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update - we had a really bad experience last night changing the dressing, as some of the surgical tape had stuck to her skin by the abscess and it really hurt her when I tried to remove it. In the end I held her for half an hour with wet cotton applied to soak the band-aid away and finally got it off. Then I re-applied the dressing with a crepe elastic bandage to hold it on, criss crossed over her front and tied on her back. That seems to be working.

The site itself still looks nasty but cleaner than it did, and the hole seems smaller, so I hope that it is going to heal. The vet doesn't want to see her till Monday unless I think it is an emergency, so we will hopefully wait till then. Meanwhile she is eating etc well, and doing everything a kitten can do while trussed up with tapes around her legs and back! It is actually quite funny to see her hopping up and down the stairs. But I do wish it were all over and she can be normal again. She has taken to sleeping under the duvet with her head in my armpit, so I daren't turn over, but I don't mind as I know she needs the extra comfort.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww...poor Persil. Poor Jenny. You're both doing great, though!
I'm glad Persil seems to be doing better, despite everything she's been through! Continued good vibes, and let us know how she is.

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby, but you are doing good Jenny, and hopefully it will heal up fast and everything will be back to "normal". Hugs to you both

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Persil!
I'm so sorry you had that awful experience last night with the surgical tape. That must have been so painful for your sweet little baby, Jenny. You're so smart to have discovered a better way to apply her dressing!
Persil is just so sweet to snuggle up against her Mommy for comfort!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing such a good job of caring for her Jennie.

I used to have a little cat named Magenta that slept like that -- she drooled during the night, too. I slept on my back for years because I liked the sweetness of it.

I'm sending you lots of purr prayers and good wishes for a quick recovery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your good wishes. Persil has been to the vet this morning for a check-up, and he is very pleased with her progress. I have been dressing the abscess night and morning and it is now looking clean and much smaller. She is a devil about getting bandages off though, and I took her to the pharmacist to ask about the best thing to use. I tried the sock suggestion but my socks aren't large enough to get over her. Now I have two large gauze bandages to put one on top of the other over the dressing, and it has been 24 hours now and she has not worked this one out yet.

What does surprise me is that the vet does not think she needs antibiotics to help clear it up. I have never heard of an abscess that did not need antibiotics, but I spoke about it specifically this morning and he says it is healing well on its own and he does not want to give any unnecessary meds.

She is eating, drinking and using her box OK. And yesterday she was chasing Dushka all round the house - a dangerous thing to do as Dushka will only put up with so much from the others. But there were no tears before bedtime, as they say, and I am much happier than I have been for some weeks.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, I'm so happy to hear that she's healing nicely!! She's such a strong, brave girl.
And I'm glad to see that you're spirits are lifting; what a huge weight off your shoulders!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is good news, Jenny! I'm glad you can feel a little more at ease now.