Persians who hate to be groomed

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got my 2 Persians (approximately 2 years old) from the humane society in February. They are female siblings, Lilith and Sophie. They hate being brushed. They bite the brush then take off. I try to do it when they are most relaxed but no go. I have tried multiple types of brushes with the same results. Epic fail. Lily's hair is longer than Sophie's so is she is the one who is more prone to having "litterbox hitchhikers".  They were strays when the HS got them and I do not think they have ever been groomed before. They certainly din't look like they had when I got them. 

I have been able to bathe them by taking them into the shower. They don't like it but they don't fight me. The only way I have been able to get rid of the litterbox hitchhikers is by taking Lily into the shower and giving her a tushie bath. Having to do that at 1 AM is no fun. Not having any idea what else to do, I called around town to finally find the ONE groomer who does cats. At the very least, I need the sanitary shave done on both. I made an appointment for 8AM today. I bring them and the plan was to give them each a lion cut. It may be April but here in South Florida it's pretty much summer already. I'm not a huge fan of the look but my idea was to get rid of the stray cat fur and it will be cooler for them in the hotter months. I met the groomer, a very nice man and he took them to the back. I stayed in the car thinking it shouldn't take TOO long and their shop was about 20 minutes from home. It was also POURING out. He comes out about 20 minutes later and tells me the bath is NOT happening. They both flipped out as soon as the leash went on. He ended up giving Sophie a dry bath, clipped her nails and was able to give her the sanitary shave but that was it. Lily,on the other hand, would not allow ANYTHING and he was ready to hand her back exactly the way she came in. My problem child. Unfortunately, the whole reason I brought them in was HER. He was able to do the sanitary shave on her but only because another groomer held her while he did it. BTW, even the vet will not groom cats. 

Here lies my dilemma. I really doubt they want such unruly cats (especially Lily) coming back. When I mentioned that both of them have been bathed without incident in the shower, he was very surprised. I got the tip about that from this site (THANK YOU ALL for your invaluable advice!) While their tushes are clean now, eventually the hair will grow back and the hitchhikers will return.  I honestly think that the only thing I can do is get the equipment and do it myself. I have been working hard to earn their trust which I think is why they have let me wash them in the shower. Aside from some very pitiful meows, they have literally not put up any type of fight at all in the shower. I think they know that I am trying to help them and their dislike of being dirty overrides their dislike of being bathed. They also let me blow dry them with a cool hair dryer so I can get them about 80% dry. Then they let me know they have had enough and I don't push my luck any further. Their hair is fine and silky so I have not seen any mats on them. The groomer didn't find any either so at least I have that.

Considering that I can wash and dry them, my dilemma is the shaving. The last thing I want is to destroy the trust we've built. My plan is to have the equipment ready, taken them into the small bathroom one at a time with a Feliway diffuser and some soft classical music playing to relax them and then slowly try to groom the area. I have the Wahl Home Pro clippers that I used to use to cut my late husband's hair. Could I use these or do I need special ones? Can anyone recommend a brush they won't hate? I have tried a slicker brush and a Furminator. I can tell that Lily is miserable when she has stuff stuck in her fur but I know it's also not good for her to get washed too often. I figure if I can get them to let me clip them, the hitchhikers will no longer be an issue and I can just give them the occasional bath. Wet wipes DO NOT work on them, I use them only to wash their faces.  Are there any books anyone can recommend on how to groom a long haired cat without injury to either party? Any advice is appreciated.

krazykatlady13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two Siberians so I know your pain. While mine are as docile as any cat I've ever seen they do not like to be bathed and have incredibly long strong nails. I run room temp water with shampoo already in it and wrap them in a large towel. I gently soak their rears and use the towel to massage their back legs and clean them. The towel keeps them confined and protects me and as long as I am pretty quick they are ok. Then I get a new dry towel and swap it for the wet one quickly, usually with help from one of my boys. I keep scissors near by and have someone hold them while I gently snip away their long butt and leg hair. I'm afraid of the clippers scaring them or getting snarled in their thick hair.

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're sure there are no professional cat groomers in your area? No house call cat groomers or mobile groomers who work out of a van?  

I am a house call cat groomer. You could certainly learn to groom your cats, but I think the easiest thing would be if a professional cat groomer got them into shape, did the initial shaving and de-matting, then you would have a few months to try out different tools and develop your skills.

Try the NCGIA (National Cat Grooming Institute of America) website to see if there are any groomers in your area.  Did you already look on Yelp?

Sometimes it helps if a cat can be groomed at home, in a mobile van or at a salon that only grooms cats or has cats-only days. I recommend that instead of a salon that perhaps mainly grooms dogs.

You have the bathing figured out, to that's a good thing! If you're not already doing so, use a pet shampoo, not a human shampoo. Not a big deal, but may as was well use pet products since they exist. Wash several times, not just once. Rinse and rinse and rinse. When you blow dry, you can also do some combing while drying to get the dead fur out. I like  to use a metal comb. I also use a slicker brush. You don't need fancy tools.

As for shaving, the quality of the clipper is important. I use a Wahl Bravura. You can find one online. The thing is that you do need to keep the blades in good condition, so read the instructions.  Trimming a cat's rear can be very hard if the cat is wiggly. Keep in mind that cat skin is much thinner than our skin or canine skin. Their THICKEST skin is only 4 times as thick as an eyelid. Easy to nick a cat. A small nick  can  turn into a gash pretty quickly, so be extra careful.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You're sure there are no professional cat groomers in your area? No house call cat groomers or mobile groomers who work out of a van?  

I am a house call cat groomer. You could certainly learn to groom your cats, but I think the easiest thing would be if a professional cat groomer got them into shape, did the initial shaving and de-matting, then you would have a few months to try out different tools and develop your skills.

Try the NCGIA (National Cat Grooming Institute of America) website to see if there are any groomers in your area.  Did you already look on Yelp?

Sometimes it helps if a cat can be groomed at home, in a mobile van or at a salon that only grooms cats or has cats-only days. I recommend that instead of a salon that perhaps mainly grooms dogs.

You have the bathing figured out, to that's a good thing! If you're not already doing so, use a pet shampoo, not a human shampoo. Not a big deal, but may as was well use pet products since they exist. Wash several times, not just once. Rinse and rinse and rinse. When you blow dry, you can also do some combing while drying to get the dead fur out. I like  to use a metal comb. I also use a slicker brush. You don't need fancy tools.

As for shaving, the quality of the clipper is important. I use a Wahl Bravura. You can find one online. The thing is that you do need to keep the blades in good condition, so read the instructions.  Trimming a cat's rear can be very hard if the cat is wiggly. Keep in mind that cat skin is much thinner than our skin or canine skin. Their THICKEST skin is only 4 times as thick as an eyelid. Easy to nick a cat. A small nick  can  turn into a gash pretty quickly, so be extra careful.

Good luck!
I did bring them to a groomer who does cats and dogs. Thank you for the link. I did check it and based on my search, the closest ones are from 43 to 97 miles away. There are some mobile groomers that I found on another search but they only do dogs. Small dogs. I'm in a fairly small town that apparently is not very cat friendly.  I guess if I took Lily to the vet , she would do the sanitary shave on her but she might want to sedate her. That was the groomer's advice.  I don't like that idea at all.  To me, drugs should be an absolutely last resort. 

Yes, I am using a pet shampoo that is safe for cats. I ordered a metal comb and the Wahl Bravura purple lithium clipper kit from Amazon. Thank you for the tip. Hopefully she will let me groom her when the time comes. Both Lily and Sophie like to relax on their backs so they have become tolerant of me rubbing their bellies and touching their feet. If I'm lucky, this may help when grooming time comes.

I had a feeling going in that if either one of them would be a challenge for a groomer, it would be Lily. He did tell me that there were dogs being groomed nearby and that might have caused some of her anxiety but she lives with my 45 pound border collie and they get along just fine. I wouldn't call them pals but there has been no hostility and the three of them have shared a sunny spot at naptime on several occasions.

amycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You may also want to try the PCGIA (professional cat groomers in America).  They teach holistic cat grooming.  You could also ask the vets or pet stores or shelters in your area to see if they know of any cat groomers (as opposed to dog groomers who groom cats).

kittyfostermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you think you will be able to groom them yourself that's great, i was also thinking that you could speak to your vet about giving the cats a mild sedative for a big grooming at least for a big clip, then i would very slowly start introducing the brush to them. What i do with cats that don't like being brushed is use a tooth brush,  it's tiny and i just move it over their fur so they have the sensation of being brushed without the actual brushing, after they except that you can slowly move to a brush.

parisamor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I had the same experience with my first time cat and learned that you can get them used to the brushing after a while if you start with brushing their whiskers and cheeks! you need to make it a pleasant experience and in my experience they will love the brushing after a while and you can cover more body areas in the next brushing times! for me whenever I took out my cat brush he would have run to me and purring to be brushed. It is best that you do as much as you can by your own as you will be more patient and careful with your pets than anyone else. Just dont start with their belly or tales as they do not like that! 

nikkiand2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also feel your pain, as my persian girl hates being groomed! The best thing I have found is to groom regularly, as this helps the cat become familiar with sensations and I agree that a really good shaver will make the whole experience a million times easier for your persian and yourself!

I'm still struggling away with a cheaper shaver that's nowhere near as good as my vet's shaver, which does the job in a quarter of the time and better!

In addition to a good shaver, I think the tedious reality is that we need to groom regularly and turn it into a play session, such as letting your cat paw at and bite the end of the brush...and I also reassure mine that she's going to get a treat after each mini session!

Obviously a good shaver is key (you can practice on your own skin to get a sense of the correct angles, pressure etc), as this greatly reduces the time you need to spend brushing!

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The clipper makes a big difference. Part of the reason your veterinarian's shaving seems different may be that the veterinarian is using a different blade setting. Many vets tend to set the blade so that it does a surgical shave, extremely close to the skin. Non-vets don't need to shave that close. We're not prepping for surgery

If you're going to shave, I think it is a worthwhile investment to buy a groomer-quality clipper such as a Bravura. Also, the blades need to be sharp. Old blades don't cut well. 

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use a #40 blade to prep for surgery. It shaves right down to the skin. You could try using a #10 blade which cuts the hair quite short but not to the skin.. Not sure if you can clip a cat's coat to leave it longer unless it is scissor cut? My guess only as a non-groomer. I do lion cuts on cats and use a #10 blade.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any updates from the OP?  I'm having similar problems finding a groomer. My 9 month old long haired fluffy butt is in need of a sanitary shave. I've also found a couple little matts in what could be called his armpit. They are way to close to the skin for me to try to cut out. I've checked prices at the store for clippers ( I figured for 20 or 30 buck it may be a worthwhile investment for the next 10 years or whatever).

One groomer I found wanted to charge me $40 for a bath with additional $$ for whatever clipping I wanted........I don't think he needs a bath and I don't think he'll appreciate a bath, not withstanding he does not like strangers; I'd rather not put him through that.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@JuJubee, if your cat is starting to mat in the armpits, he DOES need a bath which will prevent further matting for quite awhile.  Most longhairs do need to be bathed occasionally to avoid matting.  Doesnt your hair start to get snarly when it has not been washed for awhile?  Mine does.  Cats are the same.  You should first remove the mats that are in the armpits, either by shaving as recommended above, or else by gently clipping with blunt nosed small scissors if they are not too close to the skin for you to do so.  Since he doesn't like strangers and a trip to the grooming salon would be stressful, you can learn to do this yourself.  Lots of good advice above and also some articles on bathing and grooming.  Scroll to the brown bar at the top of the page and click on ARTICLES and you will find them under Care & Grooming.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My otherwise sweet and social Persian has become outright hostile at the vet's since a sanitary shave. It is to the point where they suggested that I do it myself considering how docile he is with me.

I let him get really sleepy and trim the area with curved-tip scissors. I start by combing him to avoid jumping into the snipping. I give him one comb to play with and use another. We switch every once in a while, and it keeps him distracted.

The most helpful thing was finding out that he is allergic to chicken. His coat became very fluffy after I eliminated it. He hardly ever mats anymore and needs far less brushing. I used to bathe him every other week, because his coat would get so greasy and his ruff so yellow. I haven't needed to bathe him in the four months since eliminating the chicken.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have much time today, so I couldn't read all of the posts. Please forgive if someone else has already given my advice. My little Himalayan "Muffin" passed away a few years ago, and she is so missed. She had the same characteristics when being washed/groomed, shaved, etc.

I did learn to use the Oster Clipper. Get the best (most power) you can afford. And be sure to buy he cooling liquid to use while clipping. When the blade gets hot, it burns the skin, so frequently cool and clean the blade. I think it is important also to use a cat harness while doing it, otherwise there is no chance they will stay still. I learned to clip around the harness so Muffin was always secured.

I would always clip on a high table outside,itmakes the work go faster,is easier on your back and gives you better control and sight while doing the clipping. I found a wonderful harness that had large suction cups on the end, so it made it easy to suction onto any smooth surface, and they held Muffing really well.

I learned over time, that she could only handle so much time being clipped, so I would do it in one or two sessions. Later I got really good at it and could manage the whole clip in one sitting.

Do be careful about the skin. It is so soft and thin it can get caught in the clippers really easily and you can get a large cut really quickly, Always hold the skin taught in the area under the armpits and on the stomach. 

I would give Muffin a Lyon cut, and it looked really cute on her. I would do it once a year in the spring, and sometimes i would give her a second one in the Summer. She hated the clip, though tolerated it. And you could tell she loved the way it felt after.

If she just won't tolerate the clippers, and do try them cause you might be surprised at how well they work, you can also get the  "Scaredy Cut" (www.ScaredyCut.com) cutting comb. I just recently found this handy little item. I have a longhaired orphan feral cat who was never taught to groom herself and is terrified of the clippers, so I use the Scaredy Cut. It works really well on her. I have clipped her whole body, and she actually likes these clippers. It is a little hard on the wrist after a whole clip, but it works really well.

Glad to answer any questions, if you need further help. Good Luck.

Sally

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have started to accept being brushed with a slicker brush and short intervals with a furminator. yay! they both got bathed today in the shower and Lilith allowed my daughter to use a warm blow dryer on her. Sophie wasn't having that so I towel dried her and then when she calmed down, she let me use the hair dryer. my DD is a college student so she doesn't live here full time with them which I guess is why Sophie was more comfortable with me using the hair dryer on her than with DD doing it.  I did get the Wahl Bravura from Amazon but in no way are we in a place where I think they are ready for it. I don't think I am. I am terrified that they will get cut.  I know they would sense that and the whole thing would be an epic fail. Lilith's hair is longer and finer than her sister's so she doesn't seem to be as prone to matting but because of the longer hair,  she seems to be more in need of the sanitary shave which is why today became bath day. the dog goes to the vet next week for tartar removal. I will see if she will do the sanitary shave on them at the same time. she used to have a groomer on site. now it's a dog trainer (BOO!
).  We are coming along nicely with building trust so I think that with time, love, patience and, of course, treats they will allow me to do it. they went from fighting the brushing completely to allowing some brushing with the occasional swat to the brush. The ideal situation would be for me to be able to handle all their grooming needs myself. we got bathing down, brushing is a work in progress so hopefully the shaving part will be the next step once brushing becomes just another part of their day. baby steps. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121, i use wahl clippers for my cats too, when they have tangles that don't come out with a brush (my two never tolerated brushing for more than a couple minutes at a time, and only by me). my wahl trimmers are a set, with one corded larger trimmer and one battery operated small/mustache trimmer -- so i have "options".

"The ideal situation would be for me to be able to handle all their grooming needs myself."  that's exactly what i've found to be the best solution for my cats, and much less stressful for them.

Last edited:

kollannia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have learned that, if you handle them ''too'' much during bathing, clipping etch., that they go nuts. Try a little at a time till they get used to you. Brushing is the main thing in our home with 4 cats and 2 dogs. I brush a little, stop. A little more, stop. And complete that circle one cat a day. You should try that.  kollannia

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always done any cat grooming at the cat's home and showed the owner how to do it when I was there. Depending on how previously traumatized the cat had been it would take any where from 15 minutes to a week. The times it lasted multiple days it was usually just 5 minute sessions each day. I would think there has to be someone like me in your area?