Persian

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask question about persian, if not please move to the right forum.

My gf have a thing about Persian and we decided to add one to the family(me, gf and a young small female DSH/fold mix 1 1/2 yrs), even I have been a cat owner for a very long time I know nothing about them(But I spend alot of time reading about them the last few days)

Is it common that breeder hold on to their kitten till about 6mth old? I found alot of kitten were on sale at about 6mth.
Since persian is abit unathletic compare DSH, will they be ok together?
We had a visit to the breeder and I am supprise how tiny the father and mother are, my guess is ~~6-7lb is this normal?
The kitty we're interested in have alot more hairball compare to others, is that ok?
Breeder said there is no kidney problem in the family tree, is there anythings else I need to know?

Thanks
Stan

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can email me privately with the cattery name. Normally pet kittens are placed at 3-4 months old - not 6 months old.

Second Persians are a medium sized cat - 8-10 lbs so IMO they are undersize cats being bred.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They also require alot of care ..They do have to be brushed daily or they get very matted...And their nails must be clipped or the will grow into the pads on there feet!
If you are willing to groom them daily that are very friendly easy going loving cats...

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To add to what gardenandcats said, brushing every day will make the cat that much more lovey to you and your gf, as brushing is a great bonding experience, especially in a longhair cat that really benefits from it.

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You can email me privately with the cattery name. Normally pet kittens are placed at 3-4 months old - not 6 months old.

Second Persians are a medium sized cat - 8-10 lbs so IMO they are undersize cats being bred.
I place kittens no earlier than 12-14 weeks old. I do still have 6 month old kittens here right now due to people backing out from the litters born last year. It could be the breeder has not been able to place the kittens, so at 6 months old they are still available.

I have girls here that range from 5 1/2 lbs all the way to almost 10 lbs, and boys from 7 lbs to 11 lbs.

If you do decide to get a persain, please use a metal comb for grooming. A brush will not get all the way to the undercoat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another problem is that kitty don't really like grooming according to breeder..so?

And can anyone touch on the topic if perisan will get along fine with other more athletic/active cat?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said your current kitty is a DSH/foldie mix? If he/she is anything like my Scottish Fold (and the others I've met), then I don't see a problem. Atleast my experiences with foldies are that they are very laidback and not counted as an 'high energy breed'. They do have Persians in their backgrounds too (if correctly mated with a BSH).

Make sure you are dealing with a reputable registered breeder. Good luck, and we of course would love to see pics of your cat and future kitten.

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

You said your current kitty is a DSH/foldie mix? If he/she is anything like my Scottish Fold (and the others I've met), then I don't see a problem. Atleast my experiences with foldies are that they are very laidback and not counted as an 'high energy breed'. They do have Persians in their backgrounds too (if correctly mated with a BSH).

Make sure you are dealing with a reputable registered breeder. Good luck, and we of course would love to see pics of your cat and future kitten.
Yet, I adapted her last summer when she was 8-9 month old. A shy little girl but I would say she is very active and high energy, will play fetch ball all day and only take 2 steps to jump down a stair when chasing the ball.

And here is the pic, her name is Chyna

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, very beautiful pictures! They could be made into a post card or something.
She doesn't have the facial feautures of a Fold (like the short nose and round head), but she is very beautiful, I really like her eyes.

What color is the Persian kitten you might be getting? I'm not sure, but I've noticed and I've been told that seems like certain color coats matt easier than others (I have British Longhairs and the coat texture is similar to Persians). White and silver are the worst I've been told, but this could be a line thing too (some family lines having a bit different coat texture than others). The kitten not liking to be combed could be an issue, but I'm hoping the breeder meant the kitten will tolerate it even if it's not the favorite thing.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there!

I have an extreme flat-face red-point Himalayan (Persian and Siamese mix, still with the triple fur) and you will have to groom your Persian every day, if you go more than 2 days, you'll be dealing with matts that are very hard to get out, and if you leave the matts, they will stick to the skin and be a Vet Issue to get them out. They have frail skin. They have about a 10-15 minute tolerance period, so be sure to get yourself a "Greyhound" comb, or something close for daily combings. Brushing doesn't do anything with all that fur, strictly combing. Actually, they don't shed all that much, believe it or not! You'll see when you comb your Persian or give him/her a bath. My DSHs she way more than Chief Joseph. I give my DSH Black and white girl, Graciela a bath and ... geeeeez, I have to put the hair drain in the drain! lol

If yours has a very flat face, it is very likely your Persian will have a tear duct issues that most flat-faces get. It is not an illness, just a genetic failure, sadly. The eyes and around the eyes need to be kept very clean.

I bathe my guy, Chief Red Cloud, once a month.

Also, Persians/Himmy's have to stay indoors - unless there is a cat enclosre as they will get super matted, dirty, and you don't want to get a flea-village in all that fur! lol

Anyways, just wanted to add my 2 centavos. :eek:)

Warmly,

Julie O'
(new here)

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is an update after 6 month w/ this little fur ball. I couldn't figure out how to edit the orginal post so I reply to my own.

First, Persian is not exactly unathletic, they may not jump as high as other breed but they can surely run.

Second, he is not exactly quiet and he is ok talkative.

Third, they really need to be groomed. And unforturnately mine doesn't really like to be groomed and I have to do a lion cut in the summer.

Forth, their prey drive is as strong as any other cat breed. Mine will hunt bug, chase bird, rabbit...etc

First day

Trying to figure out what it is

With Chyna

First time seeing the world

Sleep

Cleaning

He enjoy roast beef

They love sitting by the windows

They love to play

Waiting for dinner

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Precious, Just precious!!! And boy you take beautiful pictures!!

What is your little boy's name?

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Precious, Just precious!!! And boy you take beautiful pictures!!

What is your little boy's name?
Oh right, his name is Dave.

Glad you like it.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is very cute!

I know about the prey drive, my step dad's Persian was a great hunter when he was allowed to go out (which isn't very wise with a coat like that!).

My BSH male is also quite athletic for a breed which is supposed to be calm (they are quite similar to Persians with their behavior as they usually have Persian ancestors). He can climb very well, jump very high and he's quite talkative too (but that's probably just because he's not neutered yet and he feels the need to charm the ladies, and will calm down once neutered
).

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goo

Yet, I adapted her last summer when she was 8-9 month old. A shy little girl but I would say she is very active and high energy, will play fetch ball all day and only take 2 steps to jump down a stair when chasing the ball.

And here is the pic, her name is Chyna
Chyna is gorgeous!

My soul-mate kitty was named Chynna, with 2 n's. She was over 18 years and went to the Rainbow Bridge in July 2010.

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

He is very cute!

I know about the prey drive, my step dad's Persian was a great hunter when he was allowed to go out (which isn't very wise with a coat like that!).

My BSH male is also quite athletic for a breed which is supposed to be calm (they are quite similar to Persians with their behavior as they usually have Persian ancestors). He can climb very well, jump very high and he's quite talkative too (but that's probably just because he's not neutered yet and he feels the need to charm the ladies, and will calm down once neutered
).
I learned this morning that Dave can climb very very well, he shoot up a tree and stuck 20ft high. I end up have to get up there to the rescue.

I guess every breed have exception...

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Chyna is gorgeous!

My soul-mate kitty was named Chynna, with 2 n's. She was over 18 years and went to the Rainbow Bridge in July 2010.
Sorry about your lost, I had 2 cross the rainbow last year at age 15 and 16.