Persian Cat- Help Flaky Itchy Waxy Skin!

mhongserra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am reaching out to see if anyone has seen this skin condition on their cat. I have a 5 mos old Persian cat who has been discharging this waxy/ oily substance (see pictures after bath) from his skin that causes him to itch and scratch uncontrollably. He also has been peeing/ pooping outside of his litterbox despite being litter box trained. He still has not been neutered (planning on scheduling appt soon).

I have already brought him to the vet and they have ruled out flea dirt and are completing bloodwork to rule out any other possible conditions (bacteria, fungus, etc). However, I won't get the results for at least another week. I also have an appointment with a dermatologist which is scheduled for mid-December. In the meantime, my kitty is very miserable and unhappy. Right now, the vet had recommended a mild shampoo to help with the itchiness but I have not noticed any significant difference on him. The vet has suggested that it might be feline seborrhea but there isn't much online about possible treatments or underlying causes.

Any suggestions or feedback would be very very much appreciated! I'm very worried and I want to get more information while we wait for the bloodwork results and the dermatology appt.
1) Can anyone provide more information on this skin condition?

2) Has anyone found any treatments that have worked or been helpful? Or alleviated the symptoms?

3) Does anyone know why Persians are more susceptible to this skin condition? Any advice or tips specific to Persian breeds?

Again, any suggestions would be much appreciated! My poor kitty is so very miserable.

Attachments

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a hard one, I for one am not a cat expert so I'm not positive what could be going on. I do think that you are doing everything correctly and I would recommend looking into products such as skin cream if those exist for cats. Keep going to the vet and dermatologist. Again, I'm not sure if those flakes could even be your cat's skin as they seem a bit dark but they could be. Best of luck!

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really know but there seems to be a lot of information online that may help if you google to the effect of feline/persian dermatitis (here is one link Inherited Skin Disease in the Persian Cat | petMD).

Right now my cat has severe dermatitis, I am removing the most common allergens and stressors after addressing other common causes. The problem was the vets did nothing about the itchiness, which significantly compounded his issues. I won't do topical medications on a cat unless he's in a cone. I learned the hard/expensive way that the cat can cause himself serious damage via self trauma, and I should never have taken the back seat to his scratching while we found the cause. In his case, I think it was a severe allergic reaction after suppression of his immune system.

I had another cat, a munchkin purebred, that had expensive life-long, mysterious health issues. I believed it was congenital hereditary issues.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone found any treatments that have worked or been helpful? Or alleviated the symptoms?

Here is what I tried for the itchiness:
1. Clip his nails especially his back nails. I taught my cats to tolerate or love nail clippings.
2. Ask the vet about antihistamines. I asked and was approved to administer benadryl.
3. I purchased a plastic and cloth cone collars. I put it on him when he was really digging in.
4. Be wary of topical medications due to grooming. I was warned neosporin causes diarrhea. Some sprays are for topical use only.
5. I asked for a cortisteroid shot, but was told this would interfere with any dermatologist consultation.
6. I am sure the vet already addressed parasites so I won't wax on that.
7. Reduce his stress to boost his immune system. I removed environmental variables, and was recommended feliway and supplements by some (but am wary of potential allergens in supplements). I learned the hard way not to bathe cats.
8. I removed fleas, scented litter, and common food allergens. For my cat, the diet upgrade seems to help with his recent bout of dermatitis, conjunctivitis, colititis, and hiding. Avoid dairy. I don't know if clay litter may be a variable for your cat.
9. Antibiotics helped with symptoms for my cat.
10. I monitor his appearance, food ingredients, behaviors, eyes, water intake, and wastes. Those all can provide clues.
11. I encourage my cats to love the furminator. That will reduce hairballs especially if they're overgrooming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mhongserra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your comments! They are helpful suggestions and can potentially give him some short term relief. If anyone has any more suggestions or thoughts, I would very much appreciate it!!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seborrhea in Cats
This might give you a little information. I have had Persians for well over 20 years and never heard that they were prone to seborrhea. I would try diet change - a low allergen variety, omega3 supplements may help too. Lower the stress factor if possible. Hope something helps the poor baby!

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Persian and his skin is very sensitive. I'd possibly try a grain free food as lots of Persians are allergic to grains. Also a very very gentle shampoo even Johnsons tear free works well. I'd talk to the vet they maybe able to prescribe a steroid for his inflamed skin if the tests do show an allergy . I would try baby Benedryl until you can get the bloodwork results you can look up dosing for cats based on weight on line. To me it definitely looks like an allergy I hope your baby is feeling better soon and the irritation goes down their skin should be a very pale pink

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do allergy blood tests actually work?
My vet advised against it. Most things I read seem to say it does not work very well.

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We were able to figure out it was grain that was affecting my Persian before I got to that point but this poor guy looks like he's in pain bad so if it comes down to it I'd do the test hoping something would give

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they do work I would be interested. My poor cat is suffering a lot too, but perhaps not as bad as that poor Persian.

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat allergies are a real thing before we figured out what was up with my guy this is a Persian I had in the past (has since passed) it was awful I hate seeing them not feel good

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mhongserra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions! I will try all of them while, of course, consulting my vet. I am very grateful for this community. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday break. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know! I'm eager to try anything at this point!