Perplexed By My Cat’s Behavior

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been away for a couple of weeks and have had 2 people staying a couple of nights each to keep company to Sophie. I am really perplexed by her behavior though. She is not very affectionate with me (fact that I am very sad about, but I have learned to accept it) but it seems like she is a lapcat to literally anyone who looks after her. It had already happened for Xmas but since the sitter wasn’t a male, I thought maybe she had a gender preference as some pets do. This time, it was 2 women and the same thing happened. Am I doing something wrong??? Does my cat actually not like me?

JFinn002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think your cat doesn't like you. Maybe your sitters do something different that you don't do that she really enjoys. Check with them on their routine with her and see if it's the same as yours. If it's not, try following the same kind of routine and see what your results are. If the routine is the same as your own then it could be a couple things. Cats like to mark things that don't smell like them. Your cat might be snuggling up to them to get her scent on them. She might also be looking for comfort since her human is away: even cats get anxious but they show it differently than other animals. Don't take it personally. Your cat loves you, but she probably shows it in other ways than snuggling.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It might simply be that she's thrilled to have company at night after being alone almost all day while you're gone. Our shelter boards cats, and many an owner of a generally aloof cat has been shocked about how their cat has made up with staff members during feeding and cleaning times.
I see that with our own cat. He's cuddly with us, but keeps his distance when we have visitors - unless it's his cat sitter when we're away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be that. When I adopted her, she spent 30 minutes on my lap at the shelter, making sure I had fallen in love with her! Lol Once at home, she quickly changed. It took her a long time to relax around me and she started swatting and biting (not really aggressively, I think she’s just roughhousing and gets easily over stimulated.) She has become more and more distant since moving in. Maybe I try too hard to interact with her and it is putting her off. Or maybe now that she feels safe, she is becoming more like herself. Who knows. I will ask the sitters and see what they say. She does show affection to me in many ways, but has gradually stopped coming on my lap or sleep with me at night.