perodinary disease?

freshimagery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a cat a week ago. I named her Bella.
It's my very first cat and she's the sweetest thing ever.

Until today I noticed something.

There was a small red spot near right side of her mouth.
So, I decided to look closer in her mouth and saw her brown teeth and her top front tooth was missing as well. I did a little research and it seems like perodinary disease.
They say it's common for cats but I think her case might be actually serious.
Because her teeth is really more like black brown. Two teeths on the end both sides, right and left. But she eats well and seems to chew too. She's really a happy cat purrs alot and always happy to be petted. I really become to like her alot.

The person I adopted her from was this very kind lady who found her on the street.
She took her to the vet and found out that she's about 8 years old. Although she didn't say anything about her teeth condition.

And now I am scared. I am definetly going to take her to the vet.
But I am scared of how much is going to cost.
Does anybody have any idea?
Do anybody know about the procedure?
Is there anything I can to on my end to help her out?
Today is saturday and I can't take her to the vet until tuesday because of christmas.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she is eating well you don't need to worry about waiting till Tuesday. You can ask the vet how much it will cost in advance and they can at least give an estimate. It sounds as if she needs a good dental checkup along with a general exam.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she will probably need some teeth pulled. My senior boy, Odo, had broken teeth (still has one) and had the cleaned and two teeth removed recently. It was about $400, which included the anesthetic, the pain medicine, the dental cleaning and the extraction. The prices range depending on the vet, what needs to be done, and the area you live in. I would have your normal vet take a look and provide you with an estimate. Then, you can use the estimate to call other vets and find out if they might be cheaper. Also, February is National Pet Dental month, so there may be some special deals coming up on prices at that point.

In the meantime, you may want to try brushing her teeth using special cat toothpaste. It's a good idea anyway (though I'm not very good about doing it), and you'll want to get her used to it so they can stay clean after a dental cleaning.

Here are some sites with tips on brushing your kitty's teeth:
http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/14/Br...ats-Teeth.html
http://cats.about.com/library/howto/htcleanteeth.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freshimagery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I was worrying too much, like a first mother thing...
I would definetly take her to the vet tuesday.
I just hope she's not in a lot of pain.
But thank you for your info.