Permanent Ferals - Need Help

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have been taking care of ferals for 4 years now and have had to learn everything the hard way. One of my ferals was hurt by a raccoon not too long ago as I didn't realize that even the empty bowls caused an issue with intruders.

Anyhow, I take all bowls in at night now and it's very peaceful for the three cats that live in a house I built for them. I do leave the food out during the daytime and realize that has to stop as well. Just want to know if this is the reason that some of the cats "hang" out and "live" in my yard? I had a stray that I ended up taking in (didn't realize it for a few months). The issue is that these cats eventually become territorial and try to move the other three out of their home. I want to migrate the feeding to the front of my house (away from the house), but it might be harder to trap.

I know that the food is the attraction - and the obvious is to remove the food, but my question is if I remove the food during the day (only feed in the morning), will this stop the cats from hanging out in my yard and just come to eat and leave or do I have no other choice but to move the food to the front of the house?

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just want to know if this is the reason that some of the cats "hang" out and "live" in my yard?
Probably.
I'm not a feral expert, but I'm thinking if you only feed in the AM, they'll eat and move on.
I would try this first, and keep the locating the food to the front of the house as a last option.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you just feeding or do you trap and spay/neuter as well? The results of a trip to the vet over time will change things a lot if you’re little group is not fixed. You probably have more going on than just feeding competition.

If they are fixed do you place the food bowls close together? Some cats get competitive when fed close to each other. Now I’m not talking about a long distance, maybe just 6 ft or so.

Another question: do they walk away after feeding? If they don’t you may not be feeding enough at one time or enough calories. I’ve had people tell me “the size of a mouse” is about right but I’ve had some cats that eat 2-3 times that much. In their world it’s all about calories in and calories out.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cats are used to being fed twice a day or free feeding during the day, I would advise against changing to a once a day only. They will be hungry, and end up wandering into territory where humans may not welcome their presence and might hurt them.. Wherever you move the food bowls, you will likely still have the same problem of other cats appearing. They can sniff out food quiet a distance away. I think you should do the TNR for the three you have been caring for, and do it sooner rather than later. At least you won't have to worry about kittens appearing, and we are entering kitten season. Even if your three ferals are all male, some male cats bring their offspring to their human caregiver to feed. So I would make getting them neutered or spayed a priority.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably.
I'm not a feral expert, but I'm thinking if you only feed in the AM, they'll eat and move on.
I would try this first, and keep the locating the food to the front of the house as a last option.
Thank you.

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you just feeding or do you trap and spay/neuter as well? The results of a trip to the vet over time will change things a lot if you’re little group is not fixed. You probably have more going on than just feeding competition.
They are fixed (with the exception of two which I am working on)

If they are fixed do you place the food bowls close together? Some cats get competitive when fed close to each other. Now I’m not talking about a long distance, maybe just 6 ft or so.
Yes, some I do and some get along.

Another question: do they walk away after feeding? If they don’t you may not be feeding enough at one time or enough calories. I’ve had people tell me “the size of a mouse” is about right but I’ve had some cats that eat 2-3 times that much. In their world it’s all about calories in and calories out.
They eat until they are full. In fact, I keep replenishing.

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I am not eliminating morning feeding, just want to shorten it.

I realize that the cats will just come to the front, but the point is, that they will not "live" in my yard where I live and the three ferals live in their home. Several of the cats eventually sniffed out the house and tried to take residence and have even chased them out to a point they were afraid to go in (that's the stray that I have now in the house). They are not alphas and can easily be chased.

All cats are fixed with the exception of two that I'm working on.

As much as I care for the cats, I wish it wasn't. I have three rescues now in my home and I take care of about 10 outside. There are two feeders on my small block and I had no choice but to get educated and step in so as not to be overrun by slews of ferals.

I just thought it would stop! It's not. I'm trying to learn and control the situation. I just wish during all of my reading that I had listened to the advice to remove the food bowls (the smell of even empty bowls attracts new cats). I'm tired, and broke and realize that they get hurt, they get sick and I'm their only hope.

It is just easier to trap in the back, I guess. Will try to get them used to a two hour window and then remove bowls. I just don't understand why some stay and some don't. I have some from 4 years ago that eat and leave. I have no issue with this behavior and want any future cats to follow suit. LOL The funny thing about all of this, is because there are two other feeders on the block, I have to always make sure I have the attractive food to trap new cats. I don't want to, but I have no choice! sigh

Thank you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's quite easy for cats to get used to a regular feeding schedule. I used to feed at 6 am and 6 pm, the bowls were only down for as long as it took the cats to eat, so they used to turn up a little before feeding time every day.

Even if you don't have food down all the time there is a chance that other feral cats will show up. They sniff each others butts and can tell from that which cats have a good diet. Then they follow those cats to a food source.

I think getting all the cats fixed is a priority. Once you've got them all TNR'd you can think about feeding less or moving the feeding station.

It's pretty difficult to convince cats to move once they've found a comfortable spot to hang out I'm afraid. Is there any chance you could relocate some of the newbies? Do any of your shelters help to relocate ferals as barn cats? Could you get help from other TNR groups in your area? Are you friendly with the other people who feed? It's so much easier to get the population under control if you have a couple of people to help you.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know the “money is short and more keep coming” syndrome well. Norachan is right, as usual. Contact the other two people feeding. After all, you have a common bond already. Maybe you could even spell each other with the feeding. They may no cheaper sources of food. Contact your local vets and shelters to find out rescue groups or people in your area. They will no where to get vouchers or clinics for reduced cost on spay or neuter. Maybe you could all trap together?

Once you fix them the colony size should stabilize. But you may also find in any cat group you feed there are the wander cats and the less feral “I just want a safe place and food” type. If you and the other two people feeding could work together I think things will improve.

Please don’t lose heart. You’re doing a great thing for these babies and if you spay and neuter no more kittens!