perineal urethrostomy

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Poor Jasper has been having one heck of a week, 2 visits to the vet with crystals, this second visit they are saying he has scar tissue in his penis and may need to have a Perineal Urethrostomy (Basically making my male cat a female)

Has anybody death with this procedure, what is the quality of life? an idea of the cost would be great too. I am not ruleing anything out but if he will be in constant lifelong pain because of it I am not willing to put him though such a thing.

Currently Jasper is at the vet's catheterized, sedated and with a feeding tube to stave off Feline hepatic lipidosis a liver disorder I lost my cat Duke to after he stopped eating for no reason back in 2005. I have had many sleepless nights lately. Audrey is crying out trying to find Jasper and of course the dog is missing her little shadow.

Any info or experiance you could share would be helpful.

epwv82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went through this with my Henry about 7 years ago. After they did the PU, he actually then developed scar tissue that was trying to close up his urethra. So after the surgery, and two subsequent surgeries plus having to sleep for two weeks on the floor in the spare bedroom so I could make sure he didn't tear his catheter out, he was fine. No issues since the surgery and has never had to eat special UTI food either. Overall cost for all of it was about $1700.

epwv82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure why it just posted the word "false". Lol I didn't type that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There's an 11-year-old cat at the shelter who had PU surgery in 2010. There have been no complications whatsoever, and he doesn't even require a special diet.