(per Basepaws) Somali/abyssinian Cat?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMG_20180721_2230564.jpg
upload_2018-8-1_18-46-45.png

so I am reading this right Dante is strongly associated with Abyssinian.. I very very strongly thought he was Norwegian or maybe part maine coon... but those breeds didn't even show up in the list of similarities. they were all short hair breeds except for persian. can anyone see it? I admit I did think his fur was a little weird for a norwegian. it's super wooly and his shedded fur turns into wool balls really easily. and while my husband swears up and down he sees the double coat I have never seen it.

he's got a lot of silver under the black. huh I just went back and looked and while somoli is second in strength (but not shown in the top three) it's only slightly outside of the domestic boundries. I kind of thought somoli was like same basic cat but longer haired. so if it's really abyssinian I'm really flummoxed by these results.. cause look at that tail? it's wider than he is. lol.

I just talked to someone at basepaws thru their chat thing. they said american short hair somali and abyssinian are all medium hits. they predicted he was short hair and ginger!?! lol. they promise to be more accurate with time. I sent a pic. they said they were part right? again LMAO. I already bought kits for all my cats. i'm curious what it will say for my purebreds. lol. if this result was for my lynxpoint I think I could see it more.. but dante...

I seriously wonder if I got the right report back

IMG_20180312_2104181.jpg
IMG_20180319_0053348 (2).jpg
IMG_20180719_0139032.jpg
IMG_20180721_2230448.jpg
IMG_20180312_2104181.jpg

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for sharing the report! Were there any other breeds that they said that your handsome Dante was genetically similar to? I personally don't see any Abyssinian in him, but he could be hiding it very well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
to me the very strongest hit appeared to be abyssinian but the person I talked to thru chat said American short hair and somali were the top other two hits with medium strength. I did a tl dr above but the person I talked to also predicted he was short hair and a ginger.. I honestly wonder if they crossed my report with someone elses.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Their database is probably too small to provide accurate results. They can probably get away with this for most people because the average person would probably be thrilled to hear their cat is Abyssinian and “exotic” and wouldn’t even question it. I’m sorry to say but it sounds like you wasted some money.

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that's what I'm feeling right now...

I bought 6 kits. 2 for my mom and one for each of my cats. feeling pretty dumb..

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The UC Davis website says about feline DNA testing that, the way that genetic traits are inherited in cats, they don't always look like the breeds detected in a DNA test: Cat Ancestry - FAQ

I did order a Basepaws kit for Charlie. I'll let you know what the results are!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
The UC Davis website says about feline DNA testing that, the way that genetic traits are inherited in cats, they don't always look like the breeds detected in a DNA test: Cat Ancestry - FAQ

I did order a Basepaws kit for Charlie. I'll let you know what the results are!
Right, but apparently these results say he’s very strongly Abyssinian. This is like someone who looks strongly Chinese getting results saying they are mostly Nigerian. They may have some trace Nigerian ancestry way far back but it would be very very unlikely for it to be dominant and/or recent (maybe not impossible but highly unlikely).

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, but apparently these results say he’s very strongly Abyssinian. This is like someone who looks strongly Chinese getting results saying they are mostly Nigerian. They may have some trace Nigerian ancestry way far back but it would be very very unlikely for it to be dominant and/or recent (maybe not impossible but highly unlikely).
thefiresidecat thefiresidecat - I'll bet that A Azazel is right; Dante's a Nigerian Forest Cat!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
that's what I'm feeling right now...

I bought 6 kits. 2 for my mom and one for each of my cats. feeling pretty dumb..
I wouldn’t feel dumb. I was tempted to buy it too during the sale. It’s exciting to know your cat’s ancestry and maybe some day these things will be more accurate when they acquire a large enough database.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
after i initially wrote this I talked to someone at basepaws via chat. they said that the abyssinian result was a medium result. which I still find confusing because these are what the other "medium" results looked like

upload_2018-8-1_20-19-27.png

on the wild side his top two results are various sabertooth tiger types. one modern relative of the sabertooth and the second a sabertooth. and that's definitely accurate. he has toofs... lol

upload_2018-8-1_20-22-28.png

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My thought, the way I’m reading these charts, would be that since the blue bar for the Aby is wider than it is for those other breeds, that there might have been more uncertainty involved. Like, Dante could be very similar, or not similar at all. The breed graphs seem to represent a range.

I bet Dante feels really fierce now that he knows that he is so similar to a sabertoothed cat. ;)

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What does “medium” mean? Why are there no numbers? Since when is a domestic cat related to big wild cats? I’m confused.
I think it's the same way they can give us a percentage of our neanderthal inheritance with the human dna sites. I am a little confused by the sabertooth tiger one though. how many extinct animals have we sequenced? I didn't think that was possible most of the time... some of the other types of wild cats can interbreed with housecats. but not the truly big cats.

as far as medium goes.. I too find the lack of quantitative measure disturbing and distracting. i've been a member of 23 and me for like 9 years now. and they always give numbers, what they're measuring how they're measuring the sample size ect. you can also dl your raw data.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's the same way they can give us a percentage of our neanderthal inheritance with the human dna sites. I am a little confused by the sabertooth tiger one though. how many extinct animals have we sequenced? I didn't think that was possible most of the time... some of the other types of wild cats can interbreed with housecats. but not the truly big cats.

as far as medium goes.. I too find the lack of quantitative measure disturbing and distracting. i've been a member of 23 and me for like 9 years now. and they always give numbers, what they're measuring how they're measuring the sample size ect. you can also dl your raw data.
Hopefully as a start up they are asking for customer feedback. I would communicate these concerns with them.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My thought, the way I’m reading these charts, would be that since the blue bar for the Aby is wider than it is for those other breeds, that there might have been more uncertainty involved. Like, Dante could be very similar, or not similar at all. The breed graphs seem to represent a range.

I bet Dante feels really fierce now that he knows that he is so similar to a sabertoothed cat. ;)
that could be, and tbh I can actually see some of the american short hair in his thick bones heavy musculature and posture. except for all of these top results are short hairs and he is a seasonal long hair (medium the rest of the time) with an extremely luxurious tail year round tail. his tail is more glorious than my maine coons tail which is pretty darned glorious...

Maybe... maybe they have a real lab... Maybe they are actually getting dna and getting actual results. maybe they have an actual scientist somewhere... but man.. my suspension of disbelief is becoming very very difficult to maintail.

the truth is out there

(trustno1)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if you got this with your email, but it was in mine:
"We are already working to add five new breeds to the database (including Munchkin, Russian Blue, and Norwegian Forest Cat) and will be introducing health markers for PKD, HCM, blood type and others."

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if you got this with your email, but it was in mine:
"We are already working to add five new breeds to the database (including Munchkin, Russian Blue, and Norwegian Forest Cat) and will be introducing health markers for PKD, HCM, blood type and others."
I didn't actually read the email. Well then I guess I will wait and see ty for that