Peppermint essential oils

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I just found out that I have a mouse living in my car, and so I put one of those noise makers and also sprayed my car with peppermint essential oils. I figured since it was in my car I didn’t need to worry about the cats, but my friend said I smell like peppermint even when I exit my car.
Should o be concerned and shower/change my clothes after being in my car? Or do you think the transference of scents from my car to me to my cats is safe enough?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you just have a residual smell of peppermint, it shouldn't harm your cats. They probably won't like it, though. Most cats don't like the smell of peppermint.

If you are concerned, you could do like Mister Rogers. Take off your coat, put on a sweater and change your shoes when you come home. Wash your hands and face, too, if you think so.

When I come inside, from the back porch, after having a cigarette, our cats can smell it on my hands. They'll come up to greet me when I come in. They'll take one sniff of my hands then wrinkle their noses at me. That's when I go to the kitchen to wash my hands and wipe my face with a wet paper towel. After that, the cats are fine. Casper's Girl-Human appreciates it, too! ;)

I'd say that the smell of peppermint on you isn't much different than the smell of smoke on me. Cats might not like it but it won't hurt them. Washing up at the kitchen sink wouldn't hurt, either. :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Essential oils and cats don't mix. As long as it's diluted, you should be okay, but make sure you change your clothes and wash your hands before touching the kitties just to make sure. (From an essential oil enthusiast)