Pepcid AC causing nausea?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sven has been on Clavamax for a UTI for approx. one week now, and since he has had vomiting in the past everytime he's been on antibiotics, we (the Vet and myself) decided he should have Pepcid AC along with the Clavamox. Well, that hasn't contained the vomiting at all, so finally yesterday I decided to stop giving him the Pepcid, and he hasn't vomited since!! Could it be the Pepcid AC that caused the vomiting?

Oddly, we have another kitty who has been vomiting on and off his entire life, so I thought, since we have it, let me give him a little Pepcid AC too, and both times I did, he also threw up! 'Course, since he is prone to vomiting anyway, it's hard to tell if it was the Pepcid, or just his nateral tendancies.

Odd, huh? Just wondering if anyone else has had this reaction from their kitties.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well if the vomiting stopped once you stopped the Pepcid AC (though kitty's still taking the Clavamox), I'd certainly guess that it was the Pepcid causing this and I'd just continue w/ the Clavamox.

I had an old CRF (kidney failure) kitty who I gave Pepcid AC to and like clockwork, she would always throw up about 4 hours after I gave it to her. Took me a while to make the connection. Once I stopped the Pepcid, no more nightly vomiting (she'd just vomit up her evening meal, 4 hrs after having received the Pepcid).

Personally, I've never really understood the logic behind giving Pepcid AC for nausea/vomiting because Pepcid AC works by decreasing stomach acid and nausea/vomiting that's caused by "something" (be it side effect of antibiotic, some underlying condition that causes nausea/vomiting) isn't generally caused by increased stomach acid. Just like in humans, it wouldn't be given for nausea/vomiting. It's just not what Pepcid is for.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

Just like in humans, it wouldn't be given for nausea/vomiting. It's just not what Pepcid is for.
Actually, it is if acid reflux is the cause. It's certainly helped me in the past whenever I was vomiting stomach acid and bile.
But, yes, it can actually cause a problem if it decreases stomach acid too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm just glad we stopped it, and now he's also done with his Clavamox and is beginning to act a little like his old self. For the first time in days, he's actually moving around a little bit, meowing at me, and watching the birds outside.