People Who Own Litter Robot And Live In An Apt

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
.....I'm like 2 months overdue deep cleaning this thing. Gross, I know. I don't have a car so I just deal with cleaning this in my tub but I'm just worried about the leftover litter clogging up my drain again. It's impossible to dump every granule out, especially since I can't find my hose vacc. I'm not the only one who cleans it in my tub right? And then there's the drying. I have a closed off area where I can just let it air out outside today (74 degrees) but idk. This takes a good chunk out of my day out, but at least I know Roman doesn't go to the bathroom during the day (mostly late night). I really don't have a good method for cleaning but at least this is only 2 times a year as stated by the company themselves (for 1 cat). But I have to clean now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good point, maybe there's one with the holes higher up on the cover, or you could use some plastic wrap and seal the lower holes. Hopefully the darn things don't float?

Bleach is pretty strong, but I don't know? Too bad there's not a way to test if the bacteria are cleaned away.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just give it a good scrub with dish soap, then spray it down with properly diluted bleach water, let it sit for a few minutes (10? I think that's long enough), then rinse the bleach off and let it dry.
(Oh, you meant your tub and not the litterbox. . .haha! Bleaching it once is fine once you've scrubbed it.)

Dump as much of the litter as you can. A few stray granules won't clog anything, but obviously that means to scrape the pan out as much as you can before it goes in the tub.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash my litter boxes in my tub too, (although I don't have an automatic one).
Before washing the litter box, I scrape as much as I can out and dump it in the bag (I have a special spoon that is only used for scraping litter boxes). Then I take a vinegar water mixture spray and moisten the remaining litter dust and stuff in the box. It turns into mud, as I wipe it out with a rag that will be tossed, or a couple of paper towels, if I don't have a rag (rare). Then it's into the tub to wash with a scrubbie pad/sponge and dish soap. I hardly ever have any litter that goes down the drain with that method. After rinsing the box and the tub down, I'll add a bit of bleach and water to the box, and swish and wipe it all around, then do a final rinse with hot water.

I don't know of all the extra parts that need to be cleaned with an automatic litter box, but after I've finished cleaning the tub and the rest of the bathroom, my litter box is almost dry, other than a few drops that are easily dried up with a towel. I have special towels that only get used for cat purposes, and those are the ones I lean the boxes on to dry.
I save all of my dish cloths and dish scrubbies after they are too gross or ripped (I still wash them first before storing them) for dishes, and keep them for litter purposes, then I can confidently throw them away after a single use on the litter boxes, without feeling bad about wasting and creating extra garbage.
Old T-shirts, cut up, that would otherwise be tossed, make good rags as well.

I also time my litter cleaning to happen before I would already clean my tub, that way, I don't have to do it twice, and I'm already in "cleaning the tub mode". I don't use bleach as a rinse, although, the tub cleaner I use does contain it. And nobody in the house has ever gotten sick or some weird rash from taking a shower/bath at my house.:p In all it only takes me about an hour or two to wash two litter boxes and clean the bathroom (depends on how much I have to scrub the bathroom, we have very hard water, so sometimes I have to used the "good" cleaner and some extra elbow grease).

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have plumbing experience in rentals.

It is imperative that you thoroughly scrape all the litter from the box before washing it. This is especially important with the clumping litter as it turns to a paste and water alone will not remove it.

This eventually can lead to clogged drains. Even if the drain is snaked, it will not clear out all the litter and sticky reside, making it easier for it to clog again.

It is quite possible the cause could be traced back to your apartment.

I dump my kitter litter in to a large garbage bag. I then scrape the stuck litter from the box. In good weather I take the box outside and scrub it and hose it off. I then dry it inside and out with a cloth.

In winter I scrape as much out of the box as possible. I then fill the litter box with HOT water and scrub the inside. This cleans the box and puts any remainder litter in a solution, this is important. Then with hot water running, I dump the contents in the laundry tub and run more hot water for a full minute, to ensure the dirty water is flushed out to the main sewers where it wont clog.

I dont use the automatic cleaning boxes. I have found them to not be effective. I once could smell a tenant's automatic cleaning litter box from the common area hallway! They are also next to impossible to properly clean.