People That Walk Their Cats, Best Leashes And Harness?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The kitty holster is a popular option. It fits like a jacket, so some kitties find it more comfortable than the harnesses with the straps.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We tried an h-shaped harness first, and it was not a good fit for Juniper, who is tiny (just under 7 pounds) but very long. She also has very pronounced shoulder blades, which one of the straps kept getting hung up on. She hated it, and couldn't move well. We are now moving on to a jacket-style harness, which is a better fit and she seems less constricted. It may depend on your cat's size and shape somewhat.

There's a thread in the Fur Pictures and Videos that features kitties who walk on leashes and you can see the variety of harnesses that people use there, including the Puppia.

mojomom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took both of mine out for the first time on two different harnesses yesterday!

Mojo hadn't been in one since 2012 and as soon as I got that sucker on him, he was like HERE'S THE DOOR MOM LET'S GO!!! I got him the H-shape strappy style. The PetSafe harness I bought claimed that it lightly tightens as he tugs to keep him in and that it cradles his chest rather than tugs his neck, which I liked. When he got scared of something and tried to bolt for the hills, the harness kept him tight and I was able to walk over and soothe him. I obviously didn't tighten the straps enough though because when he started rolling in the dirt, he managed to get his front legs out. He didn't even notice, hah.

I do think these are a bit more finicky because you have to make sure to tighten both the chest and neck areas to fit snugly (which cats are not a big fan of). The upside is that the chest action (versus being around the neck) is really lovely.

For Benson I got the holster/jacket style, thinking it would be easier to acclimate him to. I was worried because it's so easy to slip his head in and out of. I was sure he was going to get out, but he did just fine.

While this seems like the more secure option, I know he's going to grow out of it pretty quickly. I like that it's much easier to adjust than an H-style harness, and I may end up getting a bigger one of these when he's an adult (though I really like that Mojo's harness tugs his chest, which doesn't cause the frantic neck twisting that this one did when Benson was adjusting to it).

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use this shop for my harnesses Pugs2Persians by Pugs2Persians
Tommy wore his all the way from twenty pounds down to 12 1/2 lbs. He's never escaped it. Stewart wears one, too. I have one for each of the girls, but we haven't used them.
I've never tried the guys in a jacket, but when we tried a figure 8 harness on Tom first...oh no... he was immobilized... still on the floor on his side like a dead fish.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
29285429-A07B-4E47-B285-8A3C5848C0DF.jpeg
I ordered a custom harness for my Bengal from a Bengal breeder. She is built like a weasel lol... I tried the nylon harness before this and she pulled the dead fish. The new harness she doesn’t mind at all. I use a 15ft training leash which I constantly adjust along the way and she much prefers this to the bungee leash or a short leash- again, dead fish. I tried to post a video but file was too large. Her custom harness is really cut back at the shoulders and sits higher at the neck. I know in the photo she looks to be plotting my death, but she honestly loves it and I don’t have any struggles at all getting her to wear it or walk in it.

ramblinggnomes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi. I´ve got a Mynwood jacket for mine. A woman in the UK makes them and people have had really good experiences with them. My cat has managed to escape and it´s thinner so hopefully cooler and less bulky than some of the ones around.

I only took my cat out for the first time on Saturday. I´m wondering if I can get some advice from all the cat walkers. We only went for ten minutes, she explored the side of the road and the first few times she heard cars she slunk down but after that she was fine. After 10 minutes she had had enough and got back in the car. She´s very relaxed travelling in the car.

We tried again today, same place. She was exploring the side of the road and a man came over to talk, she freaked out and tried to escape. He left quickly but she wasn´t the same after, just trembling. She was very glad to get back in the car.

Do you think it´s worth continuing or I should just give up and leave her in peace? She´s 3 and a half, quite late but I didn´t have a car before to take her somewhere quiet. I think she would really enjoy it, if she can relax. If she only ever does 10 minutes is that worth it for her to feel the ground and get some sunlight or will that too stress her out too much?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
maybe try to find someplace away from the road. I used to take my Angel Floey walking on the railroad beds but she wouldn't wear a harness-I don't recommend this for obvious reasons but Flo was a crusty cranky lady and it was her way or no way..she was a dog cat and followed me or explored ahead of me but always came back to me or let me pick her up.

I found the girls prefer the woods away from people and roads. The only thing to watch out for is tree branches etc tangling with leash but my girls really like walking in the woods... back when I had 3 cats, Floey, Flash and pumps used to follow me down the riverbed when it was all dried up. This was about 9 years ago. I don't think you should stop.

Some cats react weird to strangers so that's why I suggest the woods or somewhere off the beaten track.

ramblinggnomes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks foxxycat foxxycat I kind of suspected that but I´m not sure how to get her there. I would have to take a trail off the road for quite some time to get to a quiet, secluded place and I´m worried that journey would freak her out too. Should I carry her in my arms or in a carrier to the quiet place? I would be so far from the car that if she freaked out I wouldn´t be able to get her back there easily. That´s what worries me.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
do you live near a dead end street or somwhere that is not high traffic?

Or a subarbia type neighborhood where it's not fast cars zippin by..or at a play ground where there's trees and grass-you guys can just stay away from the kids playing... Maybe with time your kitty will not be as scared...does your cat get really nervous at the vets around people? If so then a nice park that's secluded or less populated. We have state parks where there's acres of walking paths and usually it's not busy there is another idea.