People, Please Get Regular Checkups At The Doctors

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
It's more of a vent post.. I am not looking for sympathy. Go see the doctors yearly for checkups. Please.

My uncle does not go to the doctors. He hasn't gone since he was a kid. He's 57 years old with a wife.

Saturday he goes to the hospital with an infection in his foot.

As doctors prepare on Sunday to the operating room to clean the infection, he goes into cardiac arrest. He's out for 6.5 minutes while the docs performed CPR. He's now sedated under a respirator.

Doctors found he has diabetes. His blood sugar level was at 411 (Normal range is 70-100 I think). Blood pressure was dangerously low (which is now in normal range with meds). This does not bode well for his foot. His toes turned black- surgeons wants to amputate part of his foot (Remove some toes and part of his foot) and clean out what they can.

While he didn't have a heart attack, Cardiologist believes there's underlining heart issues- he cannot allow the surgeons operate without investigating more. Doctors cannot figure out what to do- they have nothing to work with. He has no personal medical history to provide, they're grasping at straws trying to find ways to help him.

My family has a history of diabetes, blood pressure and heart attacks.
My uncle does not smoke and he does not drink (not even a glass of wine). He's not fit, but he is not obese.

All of this could've been prevented if he has gone to doctors for check ups. They could've found the diabetes and prevented it from getting so bad.

I don't know what's going to happen to him now. He could die, or he could wake up with brain damage from being out for 6.5 minutes.. he could lose his entire foot, I don't know.

We have no idea what kind of man his wife will have after this.

I am not close with my uncle- I see him 2-3x a year and nothing more, I am not seeking sympathy. This whole thing was a huge eye opener for me. We need to take better care of ourselves.

Moral of the story, get checkups.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that he's going through all this. I will tell you though, I don't understand why any dr knowing his age and seeing the condition of his foot, that fact that it needed surgery to clear infection, did not do a standard blood panel before putting him under. I think the drs are somewhat to blame for this outcome as well. I'm not justifying that he didn't go to the dr, just that them being licensed MD's, they should've known better.

My Vet won't put senior animals under without a full blood panel...

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your uncle will be okay. I will pray for him. That's very true, we need to take care of ourselves. I haven't been to a doctor since I was in high school probably. I've gained a lot of weight now, I think I'm pre-diabetic, my blood pressure is always a little bit high any time it's been checked, but I've never really actually been to a doctor unless I've been sick, then I go to an urgent care. I guess I need to find a good doctor first. How do you know who's a good doctor to go to? I need to go to the dentist too. I haven't found a dentist around here. I move so much I never have time to really get established with a doctor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
N nansiludie - have no idea if the docs did a blood panel prior to the surgery attempt. I don't know what their protocol is. All I know is what I've been told :(

MeganLLB MeganLLB - the best way to find a doctor is by reviews. Ask around, look at Yelp reviews. I absolutely love my doctor, she does everything in the office. Full bloodwork, gyno needs, EKG as needed. She's perfect for me.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N nansiludie - have no idea if the docs did a blood panel prior to the surgery attempt. I don't know what their protocol is. All I know is what I've been told :(

MeganLLB MeganLLB - the best way to find a doctor is by reviews. Ask around, look at Yelp reviews. I absolutely love my doctor, she does everything in the office. Full bloodwork, gyno needs, EKG as needed. She's perfect for me.
If they did, I really don't think they would've put him under, at least without getting those numbers under control.

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Draco,
Sorry to hear about your Uncle's health issues. Diabetes can do terrible things to our blood vessels. The good news is he is in the hospital and they will help your Uncle get better and start taking better care of himself. Poor guy, this was probably quite a wake up call. Still, it is AMAZING what they can do for people now, and your Uncle can recover his health with time and attention to his health.

My father was my age when he died from diabetic complications...having spent several years in a wheel chair and unable to work. He never controlled his diabetes very well, and it took it's toll after twenty years of running high.

I was diagnosed diabetic 5 years ago and have taken care to keep it controlled. I am trying to find a bright spot in his suffering, it is that his illness showed me how seriously diabetes should be taken. Want to make sure he didn't suffer in vain. Take this away from your Uncle's illness too - you can do things to avoid this as your future.

Let us know how your Uncle does!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you are taking care of yourself, JazzysMom JazzysMom ! Please continue to do so.

I certainly have taken a lot of info from this- I go to the doctors twice a year for everything anyway

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope your uncle is ok!

My grandpa didn't go to the doctor or dentist for 30+ years. The first trip to the doctor due to kidney stones ended up with a diagnosis of advanced cancer in most of his body. Oddly enough he managed not to get lung cancer despite starting smoking at a very young age. Now he gets to go to the doctor all the time for radiation. We all knew his dental health was bad because he stopped brushing his teeth 30+ years ago, his breath smells like death, and his teeth are visibly rotting. The dentist said all the teeth need to go. He hasn't been back to the dentist since, and he still doesn't brush his teeth.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I hope your uncle is ok!

My grandpa didn't go to the doctor or dentist for 30+ years. The first trip to the doctor due to kidney stones ended up with a diagnosis of advanced cancer in most of his body. Oddly enough he managed not to get lung cancer despite starting smoking at a very young age. Now he gets to go to the doctor all the time for radiation. We all knew his dental health was bad because he stopped brushing his teeth 30+ years ago, his breath smells like death, and his teeth are visibly rotting. The dentist said all the teeth need to go. He hasn't been back to the dentist since, and he still doesn't brush his teeth.
Ugh, sometimes people forget to take care of their teeth. My dad's teeth are pretty bad. bad habit from my grandmother.. but he's been taking better care of them now.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sad to hear about your uncle. Still he made the choice. My husband and mother in law refused to go the dentist. Now no teeth. I feel bad for them but not sorry for them - it was their choice.

My mother in law lives with us. She has an ostemy bag. She went to get a colonscopy probably 15 years ago but did not drink all the stuff because it tasted bad. So they could not do a thorough colonscopy. She would not go back because "they made me lay on this table and it was hard and it was cold. Isn't that terrible? So she got colon cancer 10 years ago. Did not see a doctor until the pain was intense and they had to take out part of her colon and she poops in a bag now.

She is blind in one eye and going blind in the other because she did not go to the eye doctor for 10 years, because of glaucoma. There is no cure for glaucoma but it can be slowed down.

So guess who gets to change the bag even though I get checkups?

I found a WONDERFUL primary doctor through a referral. If you do not know who to go to, ask co-workers, friends, church members, neighbors, anyone else you know.

Especially when you get older (like over 40) check ups are vital. Most conditions can be managed. And if you cannot afford the meds, contact the manufacturer - many have discount plans, or you can even get it free depending on your situation. One of my meds is $250 co-pay but with a discount card and a change in the way the prescription is written I only pay$60.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is unfortunate news about your uncle. I think I have been blessed with good genes. Only one member of my extended family died of cancer. My paternal grandmother was widowed in her early sixties. Her husband died from TB with diabetic complications. My grandmother immediately gave up good dietary habits (my grandfather kept the garden going). She ate mostly pork products, bacon, ham, and pork chops. Plus eggs, toast, and coffee. Minimal fiber. She died of colon cancer at the age of 73. The surgeon reported post op, "That other than the cancer, she had the body of a thirty year old woman". And that was after eight children and a life of very hard work. They worked their farm (from their early twenties) their entire life. Not enough money for regular medical checkups.

Type II diabetes is an insidious condition. If not detected during a doctor's visit (or physical), it won't be detected until, like Draco's uncle, it puts the patient in the hospital for heart problems or foot problems from failing circulation.

As she recommends, folks! Get an annual physical. Sorry for the rant. But Type II has appeared several times in my extended family. But now, with modern forms of insulin and DIY blood glucose testing, you can live a (near) normal life. Avoid simple carbohydrates such as sweets, though. "Live Long and Prosper" so you can rescue lots of cats!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
R rgwanner - that's terrible you have to take care of your MIL like that. I just don't understand why people can't go through a few minutes of discomfort if it means living a healthier and happier life? That's what to got me mad about my uncle.

I think I feel the same way, I feel bad for my uncle, but sorry for them. He did it to himself.
My aunt had to force him to the doctors on saturday. If she had not, he'd be dead if he went into Cardiac arrest at home.

An update- cardio cleared him, he's going in for foot surgery tomorrow to remove some toes. Blood sugar levels are almost to normal.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Draco --

Hopefully this operation will get your uncle's attention. Type II can cause erectile disfunction unman, regardless of age. Due to neuropathy.

I hope he will keep better track of his health after this episode.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
R rgwanner - that's terrible you have to take care of your MIL like that. I just don't understand why people can't go through a few minutes of discomfort if it means living a healthier and happier life? That's what to got me mad about my uncle.

I think I feel the same way, I feel bad for my uncle, but sorry for them. He did it to himself.
My aunt had to force him to the doctors on saturday. If she had not, he'd be dead if he went into Cardiac arrest at home.

An update- cardio cleared him, he's going in for foot surgery tomorrow to remove some toes. Blood sugar levels are almost to normal.
Glad to hear he is relatively OK. He dodged a bullet. Maybe now his wife will force him to get check ups. Hope so.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One more thought on going to the doctor. If you are not able to afford insurance, many times churches and other groups host health fairs where you can get some screenings. If nothing else, take advantage of those.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
He had 2 of the smaller toes removed. Will have to go back to surgery next week to close the wounds. They had left it open to drain.

He's still under sedation, but they've lightened it up- he's responsive when the doctors asked him to move fingers and toes.

Things are looking up for him.

It could be worse, people. Go see your doctors.