People Make Me Mad - Vent

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this isn't in the right place, but I've got to vent.

My friend's neighbor/childcare client got a cat from the Humane society about a year and a half ago. It "didn't get along" with their other cat so the new one has been kept in the basement all this time. Last week it escaped and was "chasing" the other cat around the house so the dad took the new cat for a walk and came back without it. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

The cat came back yesterday so my friend put it in her son's room overnight and is going to take it back to the Humane Society. She said it's super cuddly but will randomly growl or hiss at them so she's afraid to keep it, and they already have 2 cats. I feel so bad for the cat and guilty for not adopting him, but we've already got the 4 and don't think they'd accept an older cat. My friend doesn't think he's been to a vet since being adopted and isn't sure if he's neutered, so vet bills is another consideration.

Anyway, just had to vent. I almost can't believe someone would be so heartless to keep a cat in the basement for a year and a half then just abandon it outside, but from what I hear he's not a stellar dad either. :headshake:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So terrible!!! I understand your frustration. I hope he gets adopted into a better home soon.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be mad too. Poor kitty! Just because people say they like cats, doesn't automatically mean they will be good to them when problems inevitably arise. All these rescue operations know this about people, that's why you have to jump through hoops to adopt one of their kitties. Which is the way it should be.

Your friend's neighbors technically abandoned their cat, which would be hard to prove since he made it back "home". I feel bad for their other cat. If this kitty is not neutered that would certainly explain his behaviors. And if so, they really didn't give this cat a chance. From what you've said, it sounds like pets don't even belong in that home.

I wish there was a way for animal control to have a talk with that family about surrendering their "pets" the right way or else face charges. But I'm really not sure that's what would happen if AC were called in. At worst, AC would seize them and probably put them down.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would imagine that being kept in a basement for a year and a half would have something to do with the random hissing and growling. Most rescues spay/neuter before a cat leaves for a home so I think chances are good that has been done.

So many people have this idea that you can just put cats together and it works out okay. It rarely works out for cats, it often does for dogs but not cats. It could take literally months before adult cats would be to the point where they can all have free roam of the house 24/7 with no issues. It doesn't always take that long but there is a time consuming process involved. Small kittens usually don't need that long introduction but adult cats often do.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your venting. I feel some owners think that cats can fall right into place and then they blame the cat when things don't go right. Sometimes I think people underestimate stress a cat can feel, and they are all very sensitive too. The cats, that is.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand where you're coming from, too. My adoption papers for Lily said she was abandoned (with five kittens!) in southern Illinois before being brought up here to our humane society. Lily is a treasure - the sweetest, most loving cat you ever saw. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. And beautiful, too. How anyone could abandon a cat like her is beyond me. I'm grateful to have her, but I just cannot understand why anyone would abandon her.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I think people underestimate stress a cat can feel, and they are all very sensitive too.
Exactly! :agree: Cats pick up on our emotions, they are sensitive by nature and even a minor change in their environment can trigger stress.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand where you're coming from, too. My adoption papers for Lily said she was abandoned (with five kittens!) in southern Illinois before being brought up here to our humane society. Lily is a treasure - the sweetest, most loving cat you ever saw. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. And beautiful, too. How anyone could abandon a cat like her is beyond me. I'm grateful to have her, but I just cannot understand why anyone would abandon her.
She was meant to be with you. The Cat Goddess knows what She is doing. She got Lily to you. It may not have been the perfect path but it was the one she needed to go down to get to you. :hugs:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get it ! It's like adopting a child and a year later saying: 'I don't like it anymore' and taking it back . i read a thread on here one whereby after 3 months or so somebody wanted to take their cat back because it was still biting .. I asked; 'but are you not attached now' and never heard back... As some may know i was on this site almost every day tearing my hair out with our kitten gracie !! I used to go to work with terrible arms as shed attack them with no motive ! My partner and I couldn't even move at times for fear of attack and nothing but nothing worked. He used to comment that we may have to let her go to which always said no, she's our baby and that's it . 8 months later she's slowly turning into quite an effectionate cat and even cuddles (for v short periods mind).