Pellet Litter Made My Cat Stupid

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After reading about the negatives of clumping litter and the positives of pellet litter, I bought a bag of pine litter and transitioned my kitten over the course of the next week. He seems to have mostly adapted to the new program, but is now having trouble covering is poo. He is attempting to cover, but doing it badly.

Before, with the clay litter, he would cover with precision. I would think to myself, "Wow, he's really good at this." Now, he will spend a full minute or two pawing at the sides and edges of the box, sniffing the poop to see if it's covered yet, then continue to paw around the box. The weird thing is that he digs the hole just fine. And when he pees, he covers the pee the same as before. I don't really understand it. It dawned on me that maybe he was never digging or covering, just making learned pawing motions that happened to do the job.

Anyways, what is up with this?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he doesn’t like the litter as much. It may not be covering the smell as well and so he feels like he has to continue digging to cover it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it will never cover the smell if it never covers the poop, right?

I don't think he is completely comfortable with the litter either. It is only the second week, though. Will he fully adjust in time, or should my next bag of litter be clay, non-clumping (or is there yet another alternative?)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
If he’s only doing it with the poop then maybe there’s something up with his poops? Have they changed in frequency or consistency?

So he’s not covering his poo at all? I personally don’t like non-clumping litter cause I can’t monitor the size of pee clumps, which is important to do for health reasons. I use Smart Cat grass clumping litter. It’s the best I have found - only downside is the tracking.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he’s only doing it with the poop then maybe there’s something up with his poops? Have they changed in frequency or consistency?

So he’s not covering his poo at all? I personally don’t like non-clumping litter cause I can’t monitor the size of pee clumps, which is important to do for health reasons. I use Smart Cat grass clumping litter. It’s the best I have found - only downside is the tracking.
Yes, actually. They went from once every 24 hours to once every 36 hours. I thought maybe this was because he was hesitating to go poop because of the new litter. Consistency-wise, one or two of the poops might be a little harder than they should be, but I figured this was because they should have been eliminated a day ago.

Like I said, he is trying to cover his poop. He occasionally succeeds, but only through luck.

As far as pee clumps go, the pellet litter loses form and becomes like sawdust when peed on. My cat only eats wet food, and I see him drink from his water fountain a few times a day, so I guess I am a little less worried about that.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, actually. They went from once every 24 hours to once every 36 hours. I thought maybe this was because he was hesitating to go poop because of the new litter. Consistency-wise, one or two of the poops might be a little harder than they should be, but I figured this was because they should have been eliminated a day ago.

Like I said, he is trying to cover his poop. He occasionally succeeds, but only through luck.

As far as pee clumps go, the pellet litter loses form and becomes like sawdust when peed on. My cat only eats wet food, and I see him drink from his water fountain a few times a day, so I guess I am a little less worried about that.
You may be right that he’s pooping less often because of the new litter. It may take time.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe you should put a little more litter in the box? Maybe he’s digging as before but the coverage of the litter is not as good? I don’t know, I’m just guessing at this point. Sorry I’m not much help.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use pine litter, so maybe I can help.

Specter used to cover her poop and pee very good before pellet litter as well, though I really don't care if she covers it or not with pellets because at the end of the day, wood litter is healthier than clay litters or chemical litters; for you and your pet.

But anyhow, at first she struggled with it as well; specifically because it's a different texture and size completely, it will take time to adjust. Pellets are bigger than granules, so I imagine it's awkward to use right away; and takes a little more work. However, once there is more "sawdust" in the box, it becomes a litter easier to maneuver.

After a few weeks, she's learnt to cover her poop with it regardless of how much pellets are in the box. (you're not supposed to use much.) or if pee "sawdust" is present. I just wait until she's done covering it, and she's walked away to get up and remove the poops anyways after every poop because well, breathing in poop isn't healthy for anyone regardless of if it's covered or not! :cheerleader: And.. It stinks!

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use pine litter, so maybe I can help.

Specter used to cover her poop and pee very good before pellet litter as well, though I really don't care if she covers it or not with pellets because at the end of the day, wood litter is healthier than clay litters or chemical litters; for you and your pet.

But anyhow, at first she struggled with it as well; specifically because it's a different texture and size completely, it will take time to adjust. Pellets are bigger than granules, so I imagine it's awkward to use right away; and takes a little more work. However, once there is more "sawdust" in the box, it becomes a litter easier to maneuver.

After a few weeks, she's learnt to cover her poop with it regardless of how much pellets are in the box. (you're not supposed to use much.) or if pee "sawdust" is present. I just wait until she's done covering it, and she's walked away to get up and remove the poops anyways after every poop because well, breathing in poop isn't healthy for anyone regardless of if it's covered or not! :cheerleader: And.. It stinks!
Thanks! Answers all my questions!