Peeka keeps locking herself in rooms

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. My littlest, Peekaboo, keeps locking her self in rooms. We had this issue resolved by putting something in front of every door so she can't close them. Problem: the bathroom. We keep an old school Nintendo in front if the door (lol) and my boyfriend just slides it out of the way to close the door and continuously forgets to put it back... mind you that I nag him about it, it just seems to escape him. So everytime we leave the house, it leaves a chance for Peeks to close herself in. What she is doing is going behind the open door, standing on her hind legs and pushing til the door closes then sticking her paws under the door. She did this twice while I was brushing my teeth last night. Is there anything I can do to deter her behavior other than keep pestering my thoughtless bf to put the Nintendo back into place?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
put a layer of double sided tape on the side of the door your cat is pushing against. cats hate that sticky feeling and yours will likely stop touching the door once it is associated with that feeling

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I had a kitten that would do that years ago.  I just hung a loop of rope around the closing side door knob.  It would catch between the door and the frame if it were pushed closed, but it could just be pushed aside when closing the door on purpose.  It didn't have to be removed, so I never forgot to put it back on. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
put a layer of double sided tape on the side of the door your cat is pushing against. cats hate that sticky feeling and yours will likely stop touching the door once it is associated with that feeling
You never know where she will push on the door. I've seen her do it from multiple heights. I like the idea for her. I just don't think it will work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, I had a kitten that would do that years ago.  I just hung a loop of rope around the closing side door knob.  It would catch between the door and the frame if it were pushed closed, but it could just be pushed aside when closing the door on purpose.  It didn't have to be removed, so I never forgot to put it back on. 
I am going to try this. My only issue is going to be when Peeka or Sophie try to pull it off the door cause they think its a toy. Lol.