Peeing

diana'scats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brought in a barn kitten that is not a stranger to us, just the house and other cat. She knows our dog because she grew up with him when he is outside. When brought into the house, she had to get used to our other cat, her half sister. Having the two of them in the house didn't cause the problem. We then had her fixed. That's when the peeing started. Bought a new litter box, put it in a different area. She will pooped in the litter box, but, not pee. She pees in the bathrooms on the rugs and if that's not available, she has peed in the living room and under our bed. I don't want to get rid of her, but, if I can't break her of this habit, I have no other choice. Please help!!!

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Diana, nice to meet you! Sorry to hear about the peeing problem. You will need to take your cat into the vet a.s.a.p. to get her checked out for common medical causes of house soiling. For cats this means a urinalysis to check for things like crystals, cystitis, and urinary tract infections. You should do this sooner rather than later, because if the problem is caused by a medical condition it can turn into a behavioural problem and you really want to avoid that.

If it turns out that it isn't a medical problem post an update and people can give you tips for solving the problem. The fact that she is choosing soft absorbent materials to pee on does make me think that it is a medical issue though.

Good luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. How long ago was she spayed? And how soon after did the peeing outside the litter box start? As Wile Wile mentioned the first advice we give when a cat is not peeing in the litter box is to check for an UTI. Here's a TCS article with more info: Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

If that's ruled out, then we'll look for other reasons for her behaviour.

Meanwhile, ensure you use an enzyme cleaner to clean up anywhere she's peed, otherwise she will still be able to smell her scent and could continue peeing there. You might also want to get a black light to ensure you don't miss any spots.

Here are a few more articles that might be helpful:

How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 cats = 3 litterboxes.
Also I would have the vet check a urinalysis just in case. Stress can be a factor in them and the stress of everything going on could cause it. Is she spayed? Females can be so territorial. Even spayed ones but she should be spayed regardless.