Peeing problem - HELP!

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Tiger pees outside her box at random. She does it every week or so - it's not constant. She's perfectly healthy. She seems to do it at night. Yet she will still pee in her box 99% of the time. Why does she pee outside the box at these random times? 

Short of cruelly caging her up at night, what can I do with her? 

fair2middling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Tiger pees outside her box at random. She does it every week or so - it's not constant. She's perfectly healthy. She seems to do it at night. Yet she will still pee in her box 99% of the time. Why does she pee outside the box at these random times? 

Short of cruelly caging her up at night, what can I do with her? 
Could she be standing in the box but not squatting? Some cats just don't squat & the urine shoots right over the side of the box, at times a foot or more away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have, and how often do you scoop them? Has she been for a check-up at the vets since this started?
3 cats, 5 litter boxes. I scoop them two to three times a day. The vet said she perfectly healthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could she be standing in the box but not squatting? Some cats just don't squat & the urine shoots right over the side of the box, at times a foot or more away.
No, I've actually watched her pee in it. Which is why it's confusing why she pees elsewhere randomly. She' once walked into the living and squatted and peed, right in front of me. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is trying to tell you something, that she is not happy. Either she is feeling bad, and she needs a more extensive vet exam with some extra tests, or there is something in her environment that is troubling her. It could be the type of litter, the placing of her litter boxes, or some change in lifestyle that she does not like. Are her boxes in places where she feels comfortable and private, have you tried different types of litter, are there any feral cats around outside that she might be aware of - these are all things that could cause the problem. Perhaps you could confine her to one room for awhile and start to retrain her, gradually letting her roam into other rooms, but first of all I would look more deeply at her health and her immediate surroundings.

fair2middling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I've actually watched her pee in it. Which is why it's confusing why she pees elsewhere randomly. She' once walked into the living and squatted and peed, right in front of me. 
Just a thought,since she has been checked out by her vet & I assume that did include a in office urinalysis and nothing was found to be wrong. Sometimes cats don't like the depth,texture or scent of a cat litter, maybe she has a sore paw and it at times hurts to dig in her litter box. Have you tried DR. Elesay's cat attract litter? It has a added herb ( or some kind of plant matter ) that lures the cat to the box and kitty's instincts take over. I know this cat litter works, we had to use it with a cat that just plain insisted on using bath mats ( or any fabric item left on the floor) for her potty, and discovered that she likes the depth of the litter no deeper than one inch.