Peeing Outside The Box...

rocketscientist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Foster kitty, female and spayed, 3 years old, front declawed (previous owners did it) and history of neglect and possible abuse. Same one I posted about with the biting problem - which actually is improving. I've had her since end of February. Only cat in the house.

So - about 3 weeks after I brought her home, out of nowhere she started peeing in front of the litter box, for no good reason. Clean box, big box etc. The shelter did a urinalysis which came back negative for any problems. Kitty has a history of urinary crystals for which she is on a special diet - the urinalysis also showed no crystals. They told me to add a second litter box and put Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter in it and use the orange cleaner to clean the tile. I also started trying to sweep up the grains of litter on the tile. That seemed to take care of the problem... Until a few days ago, she peed on the tile again. And about 15 minutes ago, after eating, I watched her walk right up to the box - didn't even *look* at the box, but peed in front of it. I think the box was last cleaned 20 hours ago, so not even a day.

What on earth is going on? Any ideas? I want to keep this cat, but I have to admit I'm getting a little frustrated. Supposedly she had no issues with the litter box or biting in her last two foster homes. Also, I'm a little worried that she might start peeing elsewhere in the house. If it's on the tile, I don't like it but I can deal with it. If this spreads elsewhere though, then it's a much bigger problem.

-R

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried a different material for the litter box? Sometimes declawed kitties have paw sensitivity issues and the roughness of the litter is uncomfortable, leading them to no want to go in the litter box. I'd also ask the rescue to take x-rays of her paws to make sure there isn't some bone left behind that is causing her pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rocketscientist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried a different material for the litter box? Sometimes declawed kitties have paw sensitivity issues and the roughness of the litter is uncomfortable, leading them to no want to go in the litter box. I'd also ask the rescue to take x-rays of her paws to make sure there isn't some bone left behind that is causing her pain.
When you say different material, what do you mean? She has 2 boxes, one is Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract, the other is Scoop Away. She seems to use them both with regularity - except when she decides not to.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you say different material, what do you mean? She has 2 boxes, one is Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract, the other is Scoop Away. She seems to use them both with regularity - except when she decides not to.
Something like shredded newspapers or the rodent bedding material. Soft essentially.

rocketscientist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something like shredded newspapers or the rodent bedding material. Soft essentially.
I will look into that, it's definitely worth a try. Part of what I don't understand with this situation is that she will use both her boxes just fine... but again, a couple times a week she just decides not to, and I cannot figure it out. There is no pattern to it, that I can tell.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may have already read these, but here are the TCS articles on litterbox avoidance.

Also, just wondering what she would have done if you'd picked her up and plunked her in the litter box when she started to pee in front of it.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter

Qumilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You didn’t answer his question about declawed cat. So I’m assuming perhaps your kitten is (if I’m making a mistake, sorry).
If your kitten is declawed, she needs the softest and finest litter. Even tho it’s not ideal, you may need to use the clay based litters. When cats are declawed, their paws are super sensitive, so grainy litter hurts their paws. By the way, I have a full grown cat who did the same thing to me when I adopted her, like a month later. Now she pees on weewee pad. I know it’s not ideal and I just couldn’t put her in a cage to retrain her like ASPCA website recommended. I regret it deeply. Please don’t give up on your kitty.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Is your kitty's special diet a dry food or a canned food? My cats have pee problems when they eat too much dry food.

Qumilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat is on Limited Ingredient wet food. I don't give them any dry food. she also has been rushed to the vet for years each time she peed on the floor because I wanted to make sure she had no urinary issues such as crystals or an infection. she is healthy but she just has this intestinal issues.

Qumilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Is your kitty's special diet a dry food or a canned food? My cats have pee problems when they eat too much dry food.
actually I am not even sure if you are asking me this question or to the original post. sorry new to forums. seriously, very very new :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's okay. I've been here a year and I still don't know how to do quotes. :D

rocketscientist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update, and good news. The urination problem has about 95% gone away! I'm not sure exactly why, I think this may have been an "adjustment" problem. But she's using the boxes properly now, most of the time. Now and again I still find a mess, but not often, and I think that is because once in awhile she just does not "aim" very well and misses the side of the box! I've actually seen her do that.

More good news - I have adopted her! She is now all mine, and she has a home forever! We're still working on the biting problem, but that is also improving. Just goes toshow, patience helps a lot!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! Very good news! So happy the peeing outside the box is 95% gone. And better yet, extremely happy that you've given adopted her. :petcat:

My Ruby girl pees standing up with her back against the side of the litter box and occasionally pee would land on the wrong side of the box. I bought a high sided litter box and that solved the problem.

Can we see a pic of your sweet girl? :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post