Peeing outside the box..5 years old

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just out of nowhere Benson has decided to pee outside of the litter box the last few days. I have 5 cats so we decided to put a baby gate. Benson is the only one that can jump it (fat kitties). Monday our son's stuffed animal stunk of urine. It was on the sofa in the basement. Monday night Mom locked her cat Spunky in her room. He has been pooping out of the box sporadically for 2 weeks. This weekend it was every day. Tuesday I took the covers off the cushions and washed in them in borax and Urine cleaner. Benson was the only cat in the room. I checked throughout the day and no messes. Between 4pm and 6pm during dinner a new mess was made. Overnight we have found 3 new markings & now Benson is locked away with dry food, water and litter. He has an appt tomorrow night.

He was fixed at 5months. This is the first time we know. We had issues of another cat (no longer here) spraying this sofa. It's been a year since we have seen any urine messes. I did switch to Feline Pine 3 months ago. I switched to woody pellets from a feed store over a month ago. I was mixing old brand with new little by little. I know Benson was using that litter. He marks the same spot in the box. Since switching brands I noticed the strong odor. Honestly we got busy and forgot to make an appt. After all this time could the switch of brands be the cause?

We also switched dry food about 6 months ago to Purina Beyond One. Has anyone heard of illnesses(kidney) with this dry food? I know it's fairly new.