Peeing outside of box

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, at first it started when we'd leave the door open to our bathroom in the bedroom. If my cat got in there, she'd immediately pee on the bathroom rug. We solved that problem by making sure the bathroom door is closed at all times. This started maybe a year ago. Next, if a towel was laying on the floor, say next to the washing machine or if someone laid a shirt or some other clothing item on top of the washing machine, she'd pee on it. Her litter box and food are currently in the laundry room. The food on top of the dryer which is next to the washer I keep it in here so my dogs can't get into the box or food. Why she would urinate so close to her food, I don't know. A few weeks ago we had to kick her out of the bedroom at night because she peed in between us in the bed at 4 in the morning. I woke up to the smell of cat urine and her scratching at the covers trying to cover it up. Ewww gross!! So that brings me to this weekend. We went out of town for Christmas from Thursday morning until Sunday morning. Well, we found she had peed on the couch cushions in two places. When I'm home I try my best to clean her box daily, but maybe this weekend was attributed to a dirtier box than normal? She sleeps on the couch and she also slept on my bed with me so I don't understand why she'd pee where she sleeps. I also can't leave a basket of laundry ready to fold or ready to go into the washer sitting out in the living room unattended because she'll pee on that too if she finds it.

Yesterday after discovering the accident on the couch, I purchased a second uncovered box to put in the bathroom. The old one is covered.

She uses her box just fine when she doesn't have any of these other places to go. I'm wondering if she's trying to get back at me for something. I just don't know what to do besides what I already did, and that was get a second box for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i also wanted to add that she has urinated in the new box twice since I got it and hasn't gone in the old one.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think (fingers crossed) I have solved the problem with the second uncovered box. She seems to like the uncovered box better and uses it all the time vs. the other covered box. I might just trade out the covered box for another uncovered one and make her really happy. The best part is she hasn't peed outside the box since Christmas!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad the uncovered box is working!

As to your question about peeing on the couch and the bed, this is indicative of stress peeing. The scent of the urine mixes with a comforting smell and helps relieve stress. It is her letting you know she's stressing about something. Cats do not know that their peeing outside the box upsets us, so it is never them getting back at us for something.

Quick question - you do know to use an enzyme cleaner to clean the places where she peed outside the box? Other cleaners don't really do the trick to kitty's nose. The best one we've used is Nok Out: http://www.nokout.com

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried natures miracle enzymatic cleaner, but I can still smell a faint ammonia odor :-/