peeing on the sofa

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,  I have 2 cats about the same age of 1.5 years.  One DSH male Tre and one dominate female torte, Jules.  My problem is with Tre; he pees on the same sofa almost every night.  His background: I adopted them both in March.  Things were fine with the usual play fighting. They both got used to their litter box perfectly (I have 2, one on each floor except for my 3rd floor bedroom). One day I noticed that there would be pee in random places. I took them both to the Vet and both had UTI but Tre's was worse.  The vet put them both on Clomicalm for their anixiety (peeing), 5 mg/day for each cat.  Things were great, no peeing but the cats just slept ALL day and I couldn't get them to play at all.  After a month the vet said to cut it back to 2.5 mg every other day.  This was better as they started acting like cats and actually playing, still no peeing.  Then one day Tre sat on the sofa and peed (actual pee not spray).  I chased him away and cleaned the sofa with Nature's Miracle spray.  So at this point I put Tre on 2.5 mg each day and Jules still every other day.  And I got the plug in enzyme spray as well that is right next to the sofa.  

The past 2 weeks, he has been peeing on the same sofa, on the same spot almost every night.  I have taken off the slip covers and replaced them with 2 layers of plastic, I spray the Natures Miracle every morning and night, he is eating C/D Hill's Science diet both wet and dry, the vet gave him some joint power meds (sorry forgot the name) with his food each night, I also spray the sofa with a lemon/water spray as well as straight lemon juice.  

Tonight I am going to try double sided tape as well with the above. I also read on here that you should put their food on the spot where he pees, does that work?  I also read on here to put a litter box on the spot that he pees.  I know their food and box shouldn't be close to each other so do I remove the box, feed him, and then put the box there at night?

Here is the thing I do not understand: he has no UTIs and I know he uses the litter box!  So I know it's not the type of litter or location of the box.  I am at my wits end, I am willing to try everything not to give up my alarm clock Tre.  Any help would GREATLY be appreciated as I do not want to give him up.  Thanks in advanced.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Seti does the same thing in that he'll pee in inappropriate places without having a UTI.  However, Seti makes a lot of crystals and even though he's on Royal Canin UT diet, he still can have a flare up.  When that happens, the discomfort of the crystals can cause him to pee outside of his box even though he doesn't have (and has never had) a UTI.  My vet gave me Metacam to administer when he has these flare ups.  Usually he's totally normal after 2 doses.  Some on the boards don't like Metacam as there are some safety issues in its long term use.  However, Seti only needs it about 4 times a year so I feel that the benefits outweigh any danger.  My vet felt the same.  This solution isn't perfect because Seti has to pee outside of the box before I discover that there's a problem, but at least I can reign in future accidents this way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well last night I made Tre eat on the sofa, which he did.  I sprayed lemon juice/water solution on the sofa along with Natures Miracle.  And I used the stick side to tape and made 2 cardboard contraptions to lay on the sofa.  I also started to give his Cloicalm after dinner instead of the AM.  I woke up early to check and there is no pee on the sofa and no where else as far as I could tell no where else.  If anyone has any more ideas, I will try them all, thanks!

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure who is listening, but:

The sofa is working with the tape on it.  I have also been feeding Tre on the other sofa to deter him from peeing there (I heard that works because they won't eat and pee in the same place--it's worth a try).  However, we had a minor setback.  I caught Jules (female torte) peeing on my bed when I 1st got her.  The vet told me that he thinks she could be off the Clomicalm earlier in the week.  Well, I went to bed last night and guess what was there?!?!?  Luckily I had bought one of those bed wetting pads so no pee got to the mattress.  Guess who got her meds last night!  I am hoping it is her and not Tre looking for a new place to pee.

Thank you for the suggestions.  Keep them coming!  I am now playing a video game; owner vs. cats and I'm not losing!!!   

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get some blood work done. Can you separate them so you can found out which for sure?

Check out Gun Dog Supply for OdorMute. It's concentrated and you add to a spray bottle. It doesn't leave a after smell like other cleaners. Can you add a litter box near the sofa?

Good Luck! I feel your pain. I had two with UTI's and we think two were peeing on the couch. After 3 months I only caught the one cat once.

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.  They both were just in to see the vet on Oct. 25.  Tre had crystals and blood in his urine, that's when the vet switched his diet to the C/D diet which he eats exclusively.  Jules was clean.  I've caught Tre several times on the carpet (which lead to the vet trip above) so that's why I'm leaning towards him for the sofa.  My girlfriend stayed for an extended visit is when we caught Jules peeing on her stuff and the bed.  

I was going to add a box near there, but my thought would be that is reinforcing him peeing in that area.  I would think deterring him would be better and spraying the sofa with stuff as well.  How did you get your cats to stop?  Did the UTI go away and that stopped it?  I am thinking mine is a behavioral thing.
I would get some blood work done. Can you separate them so you can found out which for sure?

Check out Gun Dog Supply for OdorMute. It's concentrated and you add to a spray bottle. It doesn't leave a after smell like other cleaners. Can you add a litter box near the sofa?

Good Luck! I feel your pain. I had two with UTI's and we think two were peeing on the couch. After 3 months I only caught the one cat once.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What dry food were they on before?

It's been just over 1 week and no wet spots. We can't tell if the pee scent is leaking to the rug or if they are going behind the sofa. We need to find time to rent a saw to get rid of the sofa or it would have been gone months ago. Either the antibiotics or the addition of a litter pan in the room with the sofa has helped.

I found one peeing on the couch who had pooping issues. He was on antibiotics for two weeks. I have seen him go behind the sofa but can't find the source of the smell.

The other one just finished week 4 of antibiotics. I am still not sure he is cured. He isn't peeing out of the box but idk my gut says it's lingering. He just stopped his meds so I will give it a bit before getting a sample.

It's very frustrating waiting and trying to find a solution.

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet just gave him a shot, idk what type, and sent him on the way.  They were on Max Cat, Jules still is, never had a problem with that brand with my other cats.  I am still thinking that it was cause she was off her meds, Tre really doesn't even go on the bed that much.  We'll see how it is when I go home today.  You might want to try to put something under the sofa like a office chair mat to deter them from going under the sofa.

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update; the tape on the sofa trick is working GREAT, I leave them on all the time and he doesn't even try to knock them off (I put tape on pieces of cardboard and have them laying on the sofa).  And I haven't found any new pee spots yet, knocks on wood.  I took him back to the vet and still has crystals so the Vet put him on Metacam every 3 days.  I feel bad if he has any discomfort, but he's not peeing anywhere so I am VERY happy.