Peeing on the couch...

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, this is a tough one. We have 3 cats. Our oldest sometimes has some issues but he's been so good lately.

We adopted a little guy last year. He was going to be euthanized and luckily was rescued and we got him. He's a doll. He was 5 months when we adopted him.

We live in a large apartment and we are the type that doesn't like the litter in the house. We kept it on our enclosed patio and the boys would go to the bathroom at night before bed, and then wait till the morning. And then of course, use it all day. They would (and still do) ask at the door to go out. Their vet said there was no problems with this method.

Everything went fine for months. Then recently, about a month [ish] ago, I noticed pee on our sofa. I freaked out. Cat pee does NOT come out, as you all know. Not if it's something you cannot wash. So I rushed to get the cushion covers off and into the machine. Luckily, it didn't soak through. Well, I decided to put Phoenix outside for the night. He has a 2 story house out there and it's kept with blankets to keep him comfy. The next morning, it happened again. And I knew it wasn't Phoenix. Even though he had troubles in the past. We also knew it wasn't Bailey. He's VERY ocd about his litter. That boy will go in after another has finished just to make sure they buried everything correctly. I kid you not.

We have been covering the couches with very thick blankets and also bringing in the litter at night time. There will be stretches of days when nothing happens and all bathrooms are in the box. Then the last two nights, on the couch. Even though there was plenty of room in their litter box.

Let me also tell you, their litter box is massive. It's not a cat box because they just aren't big enough for 3 cats. This is a rubbermaid container. Low to the ground at about 4 inches tall. But wide and long. And there was plenty of room in it. I mean plenty! There's also plenty of litter. We're very careful about making sure everything is right for them. I also clean their litter about 20 times a day. I just like to make sure it's clean so they always have it to step into without piles all around.

I just don't understand why Riley is doing this. I want to lock them out on the patio at night. But I fear for their safety. Even a bird swooping down to pick my baby up. I know that may sound stupid and you're rolling your eyes, lol. But I love these boys and I do not want a single thing to happen to them. Also, we live in Texas. It gets too hot in the summers to leave them out all night long. I cannot do that to them. Some people can, no problem. I/we just cannot. Lastly, I cannot shut them in the bathroom. A. not enough ventilation in the bathroom, and B. they will just scratch the door. Putting baby gates lined up at the bathroom is not going to work. We'd need several and if I have to pee at night (which I would totally have to) that is just not gonna happen!

I am just at a loss for what to do. Peeing on the blanket on the couch is not okay. I am not going to do laundry everyday so my cat can pee where he pleases. I've spoken to the vet but they don't have a lot of info for me on what to do.

Sometimes it's nice to have a place like this where people have been through it, or have ideas. Any help is wonderful.

Thank you for listening.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this only happens in the middle of the night. They all use the litter box just fine all day long.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do I understand correctly that your cats don't have access to a litter box at night? If so I think it is pretty obvious why one is peeing on the couch overnight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Do I understand correctly that your cats don't have access to a litter box at night? If so I think it is pretty obvious why one is peeing on the couch overnight.
They absolutely have access to it at night. I 'used' to keep it out. But over the last many months, it's been inside. And it gets used during the night.

To quote my earlier post " We have been covering the couches with very thick blankets and also bringing in the litter at night time. There will be stretches of days when nothing happens and all bathrooms are in the box. Then the last two nights, on the couch. Even though there was plenty of room in their litter box. "

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding. With a long post it is sometimes hard to pick out all the pertinent information.

For the future, cats should always have access to a litter box.

I wouldn't assume just yet that Riley is the culprit. Things change and even though he is "ocd" about covering waste doesn't mean there can't be some reason why he might sometimes not use the box now.

How do the 3 cats get along? Is there one that consistenly picks on the others?

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding. With a long post it is sometimes hard to pick out all the pertinent information.

For the future, cats should always have access to a litter box.

I wouldn't assume just yet that Riley is the culprit. Things change and even though he is "ocd" about covering waste doesn't mean there can't be some reason why he might sometimes not use the box now.

How do the 3 cats get along? Is there one that consistenly picks on the others?
It is definitely riley. We did it through process of elimination. And these three? They were born brothers I think sometimes. They just get a long so well. Phoenix will be ten this year, Bails will be 3 and Riley just turned 1. And they love each other. We just got lucky I guess.

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to double post but, what I am trying to do now is figure out what to do. If Riley, or any of them want to pee out of the litter, fine. But it's time to confine them. I'd leave them out on the patio at night, but it gets too hot in the summer in Texas. And I would close them in the bathroom with something, but what? Certainly not the 3 baby gates it would take. I will need to pee at some point in the night. And I AM potty trained.

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarathan

Have you taken Riley to the vet to rule out a medical problem like a UTI?
His appointment is tomorrow at 2:00pm. Just to be sure.

Last night we went out and bought a few things. A. we bought the cat attract stuff, but the green powder that you sprinkle into your litter. They really were interested in it. B. We got plastic to cover the couches for the night time. We also removed the blanket he kept going on (he would only go on the one couch) and a sheet to go over the plastic. We still wanted to have something there because if he happened to still go on the plastic, it would just roll off and onto the floor. So the sheet could soak it up instead. OR, if there was only plastic, we were afraid he'd take to going on the floor instead of stepping on the crinkly-ness.

There was no pee this morning. So I am hoping there is still some hope that he will change his ways. I will keep everyone posted. But I just don't want to crate him at night. So I hope he does not pee out of the litter again.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!! I would also suggest adding another litterbox somewhere else. Even though it is a huge rubbermaid box, Riley might not want to use it after someone else has gone. Or some cats want to poop in one box and pee in another box. You could even put them side by side since all of your cats get along so well. But I like to spread them out a bit in the house. And, yes, use the cat attract litter not just the additive. This will draw Riley back to the box. I would always keep boxes in the house for your cats and not out on the porch, this could be why this started. I understand you keep a box in the house 24/7 now anyway. But I would add another big box too. You could also get a couple of Feliway plug-ins to help with spreading the pheromones. Or the spray is cheaper but needs to be spritzed every 12 hours. Petsmart has these all on sale now or you can buy on-line at Amazon.

I am glad you are taking Riley to the vet. And good luck there with him. This could and likely is a medical issue. for Riley

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It turns out.....infection. Urinary tract. So, he's got medication and will hopefully be feeling better soon. Poor sweet boy.

It was too cute when I brought him back home. He was talking so much to his oldest brother (Phoenix) and rubbing up against him. I wish I had it video taped.