Peeing on the bed, please help....

EvergreenNJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten we adopted several months ago recently started peeing on the bed these past few weeks. This morning was the 4th or 5th time, I’ve lost count. She is 7 months old.
We use pretty litter which if you aren’t familiar changes color to indicate PH imbalances. When the littler was off from its normal color we brought her to the vet. They said she had a UTI and administered a shot. Other than that she was deemed healthy. The litter has since returned to its normal color and for a few weeks she hadn’t wet the bed. Until today.
My girlfriend and I don’t know what the problem is. It’s gotten to the point that we want to sleep with our door closed. She hasn’t gone anywhere else in the house prior times we had done this.
Nothing has changed in her environment. We have no other pets and no children. The house remains quiet as I’m at work most of the day and my girlfriend works remotely from home. So I don’t think there are many stressors but I could be wrong.
Her littler box is this multi tiered cat penthouse that my girlfriend purchased that I can’t remember the name of. I’d like to use it to go to the bathroom it’s so nice. So I’m assuming there is no issue here.
I don’t know what other information to offer but please let me know if there is anything I can add. If anyone with some experience could shed some light on this problem that would be greatly appreciated as it is driving us crazy.
Thanks

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so this started during the UTI, but has continued if I read right. This means that either:

(1) you haven't removed the smell from the bedding fully, so its like a bullseye for the cat. Use an enzyme based cleaner such as Petzyme. There are a bunch of different ones now, and most grocery stores and Target/Walmart will have a brand; or

(2) its become a habit. The bed is the most common place for accidents, so it doesn't take much. Reason: the cat can knead the sheets between the paws, kind of like burying waste. To break the habit, you can either keep the cat out of the bedroom for a while, or remove the bedding whenever the cat would have access. Making the bed military style might help as well, since it would make it harder to knead the bedding, but I'd just stick it in the closet during the day if the cat has access. If you are saying the cat is peeing on the bed at night when you are in it, then denying access is needed.

Its probably not a recurrence of the UTI since there have been no accidents elsewhere when you denied access, but this is a possibility to keep in mind.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put out another box with regular clumping litter, most cats avoid the litter box because of an issue with the box or the litter. she may now smell her urine on the bed and thinks that is a good spot to go, make sure you are using a good ENZYME cleaner on it. as a last resort, you could cover the bed with a plastic carpet protector with those little nubs right side up. It is easily removable and cats won't walk on it. all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EvergreenNJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Correct, it’s only been at night when we’re laying in it...
Her behavior otherwise is normal. No change in appetite or activity level.
Going to order the enzyme, that’s something I didn’t even think of. Just wondering, even after they are washed the smell is still that strong to them?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Correct, it’s only been at night when we’re laying in it...
Her behavior otherwise is normal. No change in appetite or activity level.
Going to order the enzyme, that’s something I didn’t even think of. Just wondering, even after they are washed the smell is still that strong to them?
Unknown. The enzyme cleaner is a much bigger deal on stuff that can't go in the washing machine like carpet, the pad underneath the carpet or a couch. Its still considered prudent to use on bedding, but it is quite possible the issue is a habit, not the remaining smell. Also, consider whether urine got into the mattress -- a situation where you would really need the enzyme cleaner.

The "bullseye effect" is real in general. Don't ever move into a house where the prior owner had cats without going around with a blacklight. I experienced that one myself. I can also personally attest to how hard it is to clean a couch or mattress without an enzyme cleaner. I still remember thinking we had washed the couch pretty good -- then the warm weather hit months later, and the smell came out with a vengeance. There are some cat products without any real science that may not really work (feliway being a famous one) -- enzyme cleaners are very much not in that category.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have MUCH more sensitive noses then us, even after washing they can smell it, I have used bleach and can still smell it. The enzyme cleaner destroys urine, not masking it. Much simpler too, just spray it on till saturated and let it set.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EvergreenNJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the quick responses. Going to pick up the enzyme this week at the grocery store. Going to be keeping the door close for the time being. I’ll keep my eye on her for any signs of a recurring UTI. Thanks again, keep you posted.