Peeing on my bed

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Itachi got diagnosed with his second UTI in four to five weeks. I took him to the vet yesterday. They did an x-ray, he's not blocked, but he did have lots of crystals. The vet recommended I start the prescription diet right away, which I did.
What I don't get is that he's taken to peeing on my bed. I've NEVER had litter box problems with him. He'll go in the litter box and only pee a small amount, then he'll come on my bed and pee a normal amount. There's no blood or anything. The fact that he can pee a normal amount on my bed tells me he at least has the capability to empty his bladder fully. He's on gabapentin, prazozin (?) and amoxicillan. His urine tested free of infection but they wanted to prevent one from developing.
I don't know what to do. I'm trying to encourage him to drink; I got tuna packed in water and let him drink the water, whenever he's near I let him drink out of the faucet, I make sure he drinks all the juice in the canned food (I still give him a little bit because that's the easiest way to get him the prazozin.). If he couldn't empty his bladder at all I would understand him coming to my bed, but when he can do a normal amount, what's the sudden appeal?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I've read that often when cats do this, they may be in a bit of pain when urinating. You could try putting a pee pad in a litterbox and see if he likes that.

Do you have an enzymatic cleaner, or there might be something here;

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I've read that often when cats do this, they may be in a bit of pain when urinating. You could try putting a pee pad in a litterbox and see if he likes that.

Do you have an enzymatic cleaner, or there might be something here;
[/URL]

Thank you! Yes, I have an enzymatic cleaner.
Your suggestion with the pee pad worked great. He went in there immediately and urinated. I'll have to call his vet on Monday; I think he needs a different pain medicine.

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pleased to hear, bless his little heart. Hang in there, let us know how things go!
Ok, so after peeing on the puppy pads one day, he's refused to go on them again. They're still in a litter box set up for him right next to his other one, if he so much as sets a paw on them I change them, but he's not having it.
He's going in his box, but little amounts. I would call the vet again (even though, after all the recent expenses I have no idea how to afford it) but he can pee a normal amount. It's just in more interesting areas, like my bed again, or, when I locked him out of my room, my hairbrush and my bathroom counter. There's no blood (I took a flashlight and inspected the urine, and the vet's office checked for it anyways). He's eating normally. He's drinking normally. He's acting normally. And he's peeing normal amounts, just at abnormal times and places. He does not want to use the litter box. I'm keeping it more clean then I normally would; scooping after very small amounts of urine. He doesn't seem to have a problem pooping in there.
I don't know what to do. I don't like that he's only peeing small amounts in the box because that makes it hard to monitor his progress getting better. Just when I begin to think he hasn't peed normally that day, though, I find a location. When he has peed in front of me, there's no straining, no crying, nothing. It's a normal amount of time to pee for a normal amount of urine. I'm open to ideas!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When he peed on the pee pad was it a larger amount, like you find on your bed - or, smaller like you find when he does use the litter box? If a smaller amount, he might still be correlating using the pee pad to his litter box because they are close together? Put more space between them as one test. And, I know it is not ideal, but maybe you should place pee pads on your bed? If you could get him to select one place to go, then you could gradually move the pee pads toward the edge of the bed, then onto the floor beside the bed, etc., until you can eventually move them closer to the litter box. Maybe even take old bedding, similar to what is on your bed, lay it over the pee pads (to save the flooring below) and see if that works to at least get him off of your bed.

I still think he probably has inflammation that is irritating him when he pees. I suppose he finds a softer surface more comforting when he pees even if it still hurts some. And, there could be blood now developing in the urine that is not visible, even though he didn't have any when the vet tested him. So, you could ask the vet about an anti-inflammatory, either in addition to or in place of the prazosin, which helps with urethra spasms, but I don't think it does anything to reduce inflammation. What happened when you talked to the vet about a different pain med? When is he due to go back to the vet for a follow-up?

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When he peed on the pee pad was it a larger amount, like you find on your bed - or, smaller like you find when he does use the litter box? If a smaller amount, he might still be correlating using the pee pad to his litter box because they are close together? Put more space between them as one test. And, I know it is not ideal, but maybe you should place pee pads on your bed? If you could get him to select one place to go, then you could gradually move the pee pads toward the edge of the bed, then onto the floor beside the bed, etc., until you can eventually move them closer to the litter box. Maybe even take old bedding, similar to what is on your bed, lay it over the pee pads (to save the flooring below) and see if that works to at least get him off of your bed.

I still think he probably has inflammation that is irritating him when he pees. I suppose he finds a softer surface more comforting when he pees even if it still hurts some. And, there could be blood now developing in the urine that is not visible, even though he didn't have any when the vet tested him. So, you could ask the vet about an anti-inflammatory, either in addition to or in place of the prazosin, which helps with urethra spasms, but I don't think it does anything to reduce inflammation. What happened when you talked to the vet about a different pain med? When is he due to go back to the vet for a follow-up?
It's a larger amount when he does use the pee pads. I'll try the moving it away from the litter box...it's a small apartment, but I'll try putting it in the bathroom and see what happens.
I was thinking the softer surface too, but then why the bathtub, and why on earth my hairbrush? I didn't talk to the vet about a different pain med because he seemed to be doing better, and now I'm not because I just don't have any money until the first. Between the visits and the x-rays and meds and special food and such I spent all my money I had set aside for emergencies. They didn't schedule a follow up visit for him but if he's not peeing in the right spots on the first I'll schedule one for him. He's a week into his antibiotic. They gave him gabapentin for pain but it didn't seem to make a difference. I could try it again and then see if he pees in the right spots with it.

ETA: He just peed a large amount on the pee pad. I swear he's reading my posts and peeing to contradict me. :)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ETA: He just peed a large amount on the pee pad. I swear he's reading my posts and peeing to contradict me. :)
LOL! I know it's really not funny, but that was!! Had you gotten a chance to move the pee pads? If not, maybe just add some in the bathroom instead? It could also be because the meds have been in his system long enough to start providing some relief. Did you by chance give him the pain med again - if so, that could also be part of it.