Peeing On Carpet

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat recently has started peeing in corners on the carpet. This seems to be a fairly new behavior, she has not done this the last 4-5 years to my knowledge. She has already been checked at the vet (twice) a few months apart and they have confirmed that she's in good health and does not have a UTI or crystals or any bladder issues. Otherwise, her health, eating, and bathroom habits are all totally normal. She does normally use her litter box, which I keep immaculately clean. She's using it right now. This seems to be something that she mostly does at night time, even though she still has full access to her litter at night. She also likes to scratch at the areas of carpet that she pees on. She doesn't do it all the time, only sometimes. I feel it may be a vindictive behavior, because she's annoyed that I'm sleeping and not paying attention to her. Also, I was busy working on my computer and she came over looking for cuddles, but I kind of brushed her off because I was in the middle of typing an important document... I think she went and peed on the carpet right after that. She's a Himalayan so she is highly intelligent and yes, vindictive at times if she can't be the center of attention.

I got her when she was already 1-2 years old, and she did not have great litter habits coming from the previous owner. But she was good for the last few years and always used her box. I noticed this peeing started around the time I left the country for Christmas and left her at a (nice upscale) cat boarding facility. I was gone for two and a half weeks. That's the only change in routine we've had all year that could have triggered this. Then obviously once she's peed, it soaks into the underpad etc and even though I've cleaned the carpet, she can still smell it and then starts reusing the same spot. I've already had to replace a square of carpet in my bedroom.

This is becoming a problem because I rent, and am definitely going to get charged for a carpet replacement when I move. I'm looking for ways to prevent her from doing this, or discourage her from doing this anymore. Does Feliway spray work?? Would I spray it on the carpet, orr?? Is there something I can put on the carpet to take the pee smell out entirely? I don't have room for a second litter box, but my apt is small enough that one box is sufficient. Like I said, it's kept very clean and it's a large box. She is the only pet, there's been no other changes in our routine, and she has a very nice low stress life (lol). I just need a way to stop this before it gets worse!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, peeing ( or pooping) outside of the box is never vindictive - cats just don't think that way ;) Everything you're saying is making me think that this is an anxiety issue - she's feeling insecure so she's scent marking the corners of the rooms to define her territory, to reassure herself that she's safe and that she belongs with you. The fact that this started after you were away is very significant - as an ex shelter cat (I'm assuming) she was likely scared that she'd been abandoned again. This has nothing to do with how great the boarding facility was - just her own past experience. Many cats get separation anxiety when their owners go away, though most are fine once their owners return.

Definitely try the Feliway - diffusers would be best for in the home, as the sprays don't last very long. It can't hurt to spray her bed and favourite areas with the spray though. For right now, litterboxes in the corners where she's peeing will help save your carpets while you work on helping her get more secure. I know it's a pain, but scooping is definitely easier than cleaning the carpets ;) If you really can't do that, puppy pee pads are another option. I used to use them in front of my boxes, as one of my old boys had a habit of peeing outside the entrance whilst standing in the box :rolleyes: I never had a problem with them encouraging my guys to go out side of the box, so no worries on that score ;)

A great way to help your girl feel more secure is daily interactive playtime, ideally followed by a meaty treat or snack. This will boost her confidence and help her reaffirm her territory in a positive way. She may benefit from a calming supplement too (such as Composure or Zylkene), at least in the short term. If these measures don't work, you can look at anti anxiety medication, but that should always be a last resort imo ;)

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Separation Anxiety In Cats
Anti-anxiety Medication For Cats
How And Why Do Cats Play?
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient